It’s that time of the year again!
As many of you are likely going through awards season withdrawal, Awards Circuit will once again be here to get you through it with ease and fun. We are kicking the new film year off with our fourth annual “Circuit Madness,” a tournament for our readers to vote round-by-round to find the best Oscar winners in that year’s chosen category. We started the quest three years ago with Best Picture, where “The Godfather” emerged victorious. We next took on Lead Actress, where you all selected Meryl Streep for her work in “Sophie’s Choice” as the best Oscar-winning performance by a Best Actress winner. Last year, you all anointed Jack Nicholson’s turn in “One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest” as the greatest Lead Actor Oscar winning performance. This year we take on Supporting Actor, where the field is ripe for a surprise winner.
The rules are simple, but let’s give you a reminder anyway. Each week will offer up many different matches. Following the same structure as NCAA March Madness, 64 of the 88 winners will compete against one another. So far, 60 have been chosen by the staff. The last four are up to YOU! You will vote on them today through Tuesday at midnight. The top four highest vote-getting men will take the 12-seed spots on the bracket, which we will announce Wednesday.
From there, here is the schedule:
- Thursday March 10-Sunday morning March 13: First round voting. Top 32 performances announced on March 13 podcast.
- Monday March 14 – March 19: Round two voting. Sweet 16 announced on March 20 podcast.
- Monday March 21 – March 26: Round three voting. Elite 8 announced on March 27 podcast.
- Monday March 28 – April 2: Round three voting. Final Four announced on April 3 podcast.
- Monday April 4 – April 9: Round four voting. Finals announced on April 10 podcast.
- Monday April 11 – April 16: Final Round Voting. Winner for Circuit Madness: Best Supporting Actor announced on April 17 podcast.
Check out the list below and sound off in the comments on who you are rooting for!