Circuit Madness 2017 Sweet 16 Opens for Voting! Round of 32 Results Here!

7

Hello readers! We will jump into the voting for the Sweet 16, but first, we need to reveal the results of the Round of 32. It was a tough round for several high seeds, and several close matches were won by a single vote. We’ll start by recapping the Round of 32, and move on to the voting for the Circuit Madness 2017 Sweet 16. First, up the results of the Round of 32.

You can hear the results on this week’s episode of the “Circuit Breaker” podcast!

Results for Round 2

Steiner Division

There were a lot of hard-fought matches this round so let’s get into it. First up is the Steiner Division. The first big winner was “Star Wars” which knocked off “The Little Mermaid” in pretty dominant fashion. “Star Wars” took down the animated classic, 86 percent to 14 percent. Meanwhile, recent winners “Up” and “Slumdog Millionaire” did battle. “Up” emerged victorious, winning the round 69 percent to 31 percent. This sets up a battle between “Up” and “Star Wars” for the Sweet 16.

One of the closest matches of the round was between “Titanic” and “Schindler’s List.” The two modern classics won just a few years apart, and the passion for both is still palpable. However, the winner is “Titanic,” in a single vote victory over “Schindler’s List.” This makes “Schindler’s” the first John Williams-scored film to fall, despite four of his films getting into the round of 32. “Titanic” will face off against the winner of “La La Land” and “Breakfast at Tiffany’s.” The match was a little more one-sided than expected, with “La La Land” pulling off the upset, 78 percent to 22 percent. “La La Land” will now go up against the other Oscar juggernaut, “Titanic,” in a battle of the 14-time Oscar nominees.

Portman Division

Next up, the Portman Division. The division is headlined by one of the first big upsets of the tournament. In a major upset, “The Lion King” as an eighth seed easily toppled the first-seeded “The Godfather Part 2,”  63 percent to 37 percent. This makes “The Godfather Part 2” the first No. 1 seed to go down, and certainly lends strength to Disney’s chances in the tournament. Meanwhile, “The Sound of Music” pummeled “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” by the same score, 63 percent to 37 percent. This sets up a musical battle in the Sweet 16 between “The Sound of Music” and “The Lion King.” With two upset winners, can either be considered an underdog moving forward?

In a battle of “The Lord of the Rings,” the vote ended up being extremely close. “The Fellowship of the Ring” ended up triumphing over “The Return of the King,” advancing over the higher-seeded film with a 55 percent to 45 percent victory. Another battle between classic cinema occurred in the bracket, with “The Wizard of Oz” going up against “Chariots of Fire.” The popular musical from 1939 prevailed, winning 75 percent to 25 percent. This sets up a fantasy matchup between “The Fellowship of the Ring” and “The Wizard of Oz.”

Newman Division

Next up is the Newman Division. The round started off with “Lawrence of Arabia” crushing “Life is Beautiful” with a 78 percent to 22 percent win. Meanwhile, “Beauty and the Beast” continued the one-sided matches, by cruising through “Ben-Hur,” 86 percent to 14 percent. It sets up an interesting matchup between “Lawrence of Arabia” and “Beauty and the Beast.” Neither film has received less than 78 percent of the vote up to this point, but one of them won’t be able to keep up that streak.

A couple more upsets continued to pop up in the Newman Division as well. “Atonement” continued its Cinderella run to the Sweet 16, beating “The Way We Were” 73 percent to 27 percent. “Atonement” as a 14th seed is the lowest-seeded film left in the tournament. Another second seed fell in the Newman Division, with “Doctor Zhivago” running into “Brokeback Mountain.” “Brokeback” took down the “Doctor,” 56 percent to 44 percent, and will match up against fellow 2000s winner “Atonement.”

Williams Division

Last up is the Williams Division. The largest victory of the round showed up here, with “Jaws” winning its second match by more than 70 points. Tough luck to “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,” which lost the match 92 percent to 8 percent. This was juxtaposed by the other one vote match of the tournament. “The Hateful Eight” and “Gravity” each have passion from their recent wins. With a tiebreaker on the Circuit breaker Podcast, “Gravity” advances over “The Hateful Eight.” This sets up “Gravity” versus “Jaws” in the next round. 

To set up our final Sweet 16 match, we had two more close votes. In a matchup between John Barry and John Barry, “Dances With Wolves” took down the higher-seeded “Out of Africa” in a 56 percent to 44 percent round. While many of the other second seeds have already fallen in the tournament, “E.T.” will not be one of them yet. “E.T.” took down “The Social Network” in a fairly close match, 58 percent to 42 percent. This now advances two John Williams scores (in this bracket alone) to a Sweet 16.

Voting Opens for Circuit Madness 2017 Sweet 16

Voting is now open for the Sweet 16! Let us know what you think in the comments below, as well as on the Awards Circuit Message Boards! Be sure to vote in the polls below to help decide our champion of Circuit Madness 2017.

[polldaddy poll=9708888]

[polldaddy poll=9708892]

[polldaddy poll=9708897]

[polldaddy poll=9708899]

[polldaddy poll=9708900]

[polldaddy poll=9708901]

[polldaddy poll=9708904]

[polldaddy poll=9708905]

Let us hear your picks in the comments below! Who do you think will win Circuit Madness 2017? 

Voting for the Circuit Madness 2017 Sweet 16 will close on March 30. Voting for the Elite 8 will open on March 31.

  • Spencer

    Judging from the final results, this is going to be murder.

  • Joey Magidson

    Enjoy!

  • Brennan

    How has the poll already closed?

    • Cody

      Exactly. It was posted just yesterday and it’s already closed, can we get some more time?

      • Hello Cody! We just reopened it for the next 24 hours. Results will be announced over the weekend. Thanks!

    • Hello Brennan! We just reopened it for the next 24 hours. We had originally meant to post early in the week, but there were some snafus. Thanks for the continued interest!

  • Ryan

    Wow. No Out of Africa hurts. I guess I’m rooting for Fellowship of the Ring all the way now.