While the Fall is often defined by the festival circuit, the time between NYFF and AFI seems to belong to releases at the theater. However, one genre that never seemed to get it’s due were the animated features. Unless you were a Disney film, many of these features get buried in the larger festivals. This led GKIDS and Annecy International Animation Film Festival to partner up to give animated films a platform. Thus the Animation is Film festival was born last year.
The small festival highlights animated features and shorts. This year looks to bring international hits to Los Angeles audiences. Today we’ve received news about some of the films showing there from Deadline. The one that many will look at as a potential Oscar player is “Mirai” from Mamoru Hosada. Hosada will receive a special four-film retrospective at the festival. He’ll also be in attendance. “Mirai” made its World Premiere as part of the Director’s Fortnight series at Cannes earlier this year. It will release on November 30, 2018. GKIDS will debut the film in America with both Japanese and English-dub versions through Fathom Events.
Animation is Film Competition Lineup
- “Another Day of Life” – Dir. Raul de la Fuente, Damian Nenow
- “Bunuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles” – Dir. Salvador Simo
- “Funan” – Dir. Denis Do
- “I Want to Eat Your Pancreas” – Dir. Shin’ichiro Ushijima
- “Mirai” – Dir. Mamoru Hosoda
- “Okko’s Inn” – Dir. Kitaro Kosako
- “Pachamama” – Dir. Juan Antin
- “Penguin Highway” – Dir. Hiroyasu Ishida
- “Ruben Brandt, Collector” – Dir. Milorad Krstic
- “Seder-Masochism” – Dir. Nina Paley
- “Tito and the Birds” – Dir. Gabriel Bitar, Andre Catoto, Gustavo Steinberg