Following the holiday break, several more shows return to the networks and television at large. There are some new premieres, headlined by “Project Blue Book,” an alien investigation show on the History Channel. Meanwhile “black-ish,” “The Connors,” and the CBS procedural lineup all return.
Pick Of The Day
“black-ish” on ABC at 9 PM
One of the funniest shows on broadcast television, “black-ish” continues its strong 5th season. After passing its 100th episode in the Fall, “black-ish” hopes that the ratings pick up, as the show has dropped to below 4 million viewers an episode. However, “black-ish” remains one of the bigger shows in terms of awards. The focus remains on Anthony Anderson and Tracee Ellis Ross, both of which should be good for Emmy nominations again this year. With the combination of fun plots, actually funny gags, and two top tier performances, this is an easy pick for show of the night.
One of the interesting shows that will make its debut tonight will be “Project Blue Book,” a narrative series exploring UFOs in the 1960s. Led by Aiden Gillen of “Game of Thrones” and “Bohemian Rhapsody,” color me intrigued by the premise. However, the trailer for the show certainly does not do the show any favors. It’s home on History Channel does not seem to scream quality either. Still, the ceiling for a show like this can be very high, as we saw with “The X-Files” during its peak run. It’s a curious, and hopefully rewarding gamble for the week.
For most of the network shows returning, we’re a little over the halfway point of the season. “The Connors” keeps rolling along, but the conversation around the show feels significantly lower than “Roseanne” as it closed out the first season. It’s down to about 6 million viewers, but in today’s TV climate, that’s a solid number. There are only 3 episodes left this season, so expect another 11 episode order coming soon.
“New Amsterdam” hopes to continue its run on NBC. Another show flirting with around 6 million viewers an episode, I was higher on the show than most critics when it debuted. However, the show got an addition 9-episode order and will run a full 22 episodes this year. It’ll be curious to see if it can keep momentum or if it will fall off in the near future.
Finally, the “NCIS,” “FBI,” and “NCIS: New Orleans” shows make their return as well. The CBS block does not have a ton of competition on the night, so it will likely keep gaining strong ratings. However, you have to be in the mood for the CBS procedural block. Otherwise, it might be too repetitive for its own good.
There are plenty of other shows airing new episodes tonight. Use this as a helpful guide when channel surfing tonight. Make sure you don’t miss the latest episodes of your favorite shows. Once again, times may vary by local area. Please check your local guide for the most accurate times.
- “NCIS” (CBS) at 8 PM
- “FBI” (CBS) at 9 PM
- “NCIS: New Orleans” (CBS) at 10 PM
- “The Connors” (ABC) at 8 PM
- “The Kids Are Alright” (ABC) at 8:30 PM
- “black-ish” (ABC) at 9 PM
- “Splitting Up Together” (ABC) at 9:30 PM
- “The Rookie’ (ABC) at 10 PM
- “Ellen’s Game of Games” (NBC) at 8 PM and 9 PM
- “New Amsterdam” (NBC) at 10 PM
- “Lethal Weapon” (Fox) at 8 PM
- “The Gifted” (Fox) at 9 PM
- “Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates Jr. “(PBS) at 8 PM
- “We’ll Meet Again” (PBS) at 9 PM
- “USS Indianapolis: The Final Chapter” (PBS) at 10 PM
- “Madden 19 NFL Classic” (CW) at 9 PM
- “Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath” (A&E) at 9 PM
- “Lone Star Law” (Animal Planet) at 8 PM and 9 PM
- “The Family Business” (BET) at 9 PM
- “Below Deck” (Bravo) at 9 PM
- “The Profit” (CNBC) at 10 PM
- “Building Off the Grid” (DIY) at 9 PM
- “Garage Rehab” (Discover) at 8 PM
- “Bad Chad Customs” (Discover) at 9 PM
- “Good Trouble” (Freeform) at 8 PM
- “Windy City Rehab” (HGTV) at 9 PM
- “House Hunters” (HGTV) at 10 PM
- “House Hunters: International” (HGTV) at 10:30 PM
- “The Curse of Oak Island” (History) at 8 PM and 9 PM
- “Project Blue Book” (History)
- “Married at First Sight” (Lifetime) at 8 PM, 8:30 PM and 10:30 PM
- “Linsay Lohan’s Beach Club” (MTV) at 8 PM and 9 PM
- “Life Below Zero” (Nat. Geo) at 9 PM
- “Port Protection Alaska” (Nat. Geo) at 10 PM
- “The Haves and Have Nots” (OWN) at 9 PM
- “Love & Marriage: Huntsville ” (OWN) at 10 PM
- “What on Earth?” (Science) at 9 PM
- “How the Universe Works” (Science) at 10 PM
- “My Big Fat Fabulous Life” (TLC) at 8 PM
- “I Am Jazz” (TLC) at 9 PM
- “Legendary Locations” (Travel) at 8 PM and 8:30 PM
- “Expedition Unknown” (Travel) at 9 PM
- “Legend Hunter” (Travel) at 10 PM
What do you think you’ll tune into? Did we miss any new shows you’ll be watching? Let us hear your picks in the comments below!
Be sure to check out our Official Oscar Predictions Page to see where this year’s films and performances rank among the contenders!