We’re back for Academy Idol XII Round 6! Before we jump in to discover our Top 8 films of 2018, the double elimination round loomed large. Let’s look over the last round’s result before we jump into the next round based on the early televised awards.
Round 5 Results
First, let’s look over our top films from Round 5. With 5 votes per voter, we had a strong crop rise to the top again. We had a tie for 3rd place, so our top 4 films were:
- “A Star Is Born“ (4 Tops)
- “The Favourite” (5 Tops, 3 Wins)
- “Hereditary” (4 Tops, 1 Win)
- “Roma” (2 Tops)
The winner, once again, was “The Favourite” with 18% of the vote. Yorgos Lanthimos‘ period piece dramedy continues to dominate the tournament and has finished as a top contender every step of the way. It has now won 4 of the 5 rounds.
The following movies also advanced:
- “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”
This left us with a bottom four films. In the double-elimination round, we had some usual suspects and some new films drop to the bottom. The films in the pool for elimination were:
- “A Quiet Place”
- “BlacKkKlansman” (3)
- “If Beale Street Could Talk” (2)
- “Isle of Dogs”
Our first film to be eliminated was “If Beale Street Could Talk” from Barry Jenkins. Last time through the tournament, Jenkins’ “Moonlight” finished in 2nd place for the year. However, with the later release date and dwindling support from the various awards bodies of the year, it is not overly surprising to see it fall.
Our next film to be eliminated has been struggling for a few weeks in a row. “BlacKkKlansman” had a strong showing to start the competition, but it has been in the bottom 3 over the last few rounds. Eventually, this caught up with Spike Lee‘s latest feature, and it is sadly gone from the tournament.
Academy Idol XII Round 6 Voting – The Early Televised Awards
We’re now down to our final 8 films. Our next round will be based on the early televised awards, including the Golden Globes, the Critics’ Choice, and the Gothams. Remember, not every film was eligible for the Gothams, but if you’re tied between two films, it works as a tie-breaker. You get 4 votes this round, so make them count. Let’s dive into how each of our films have done so far.
- “A Star Is Born” – Globes – Best Song (5 nominations); BFCA – Actress, Song (9 nominations)
- “A Quiet Palce” – Globes – 1 nomination; BFCA – Sci-Fi/Horror (3 nominations)
- “The Favourite” – Globes – Best Actress Comedy (5 nominations); Actress Comedy, Ensemble (14 nominations); Gothams – Best Ensemble (5 Nominees)
- “Hereditary” – Globes – 0 nominations; BFCA – 2 nominations; Gothams – Actress (3 nominations)
- “Isle of Dogs” – Globes – 2 nominations; BFCA – 2 nominations
- “Roma” – Won: Globes – Foreign Language/Director (3 nominations); BFCA – Picture, Director, Foreign, Cinematography (8 nominations); Gotham – No wins (1 nomination)
- “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” – Globes – Animated Feature; BFCA – Animated Feature
- “Widows” – Globes – 0 nominations; BFCA – 3 nominations
With our quick breakdown of each film’s success, let’s jump into the voting. The poll is included below.
What do you think about the round? Who are you voting for? Let us hear your thoughts in the comments below!
Round 5 voting closes Jan. 16, 2018. Round 6 voting begins on Jan. 17, 2018.
Be sure to check out our Official Oscar Predictions Page to see where this year’s films and performances rank among the contenders!