There are some intriguing television options tonight that include the world of boxing and the various characters of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The first selection features America’s First Avenger, airing while a reality series about two real life American heroes aiding and transforming their community returns. Meanwhile, an HBO documentary special on famed boxer Muhammad Ali holds its premiere. Here’s a closer look at what’s on TV tonight.
PICK OF THE DAY:
“Captain America: The First Avenger” (FX) at 7:30 PM EST
While “Avengers: Endgame” is breaking box office records, fans can continue to satisfy their Marvel cravings tonight. “Captain America: The First Avenger” introduced everyone’s favorite Star-Spangled hero. This origin story shows how Captain America was originally a scrawny man from Brooklyn with little chance of being an Army soldier. But after taking a special serum, he became the hero that he hoped to be. Both entertaining, action packed and heartfelt, “Captain America: The First Avenger” is a worthy entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
“What’s My Name: Muhammad Ali” (HBO) 8:00 PM EST & 9:25 PM EST
Speaking of inspirational heroes, this HBO special which follows boxer Muhammad Ali’s life story premieres tonight. Directed by Antoine Fuqua, “What’s My Name: Muhammad Ali” chronicles the trials and accomplishments of Ali’s career. In addition, the documentary captures his life journey through recordings of his own voice. Because it’s in two parts, ‘Muhammad Ali’ will cover a large portion of his personal life. Even for those that aren’t big on boxing, this could be a great watch to learn more about sport’s most towering figure.
“Good Bones” (HGTV) at 9:00 PM EST
The reality series “Good Bones” is coming back for its fourth season. For those that are unfamiliar, this series keeps up with the theme of inspirational heroes. “Good Bones” follows Karen, a former defense attorney and her daughter Mina, a real estate developer. Together, they formed “Two Chicks and a Hammer,” a company that buys and remodels homes from the Indianapolis area in need of significant repair. “Good Bones” captures real heroes, minus the capes and superpowers.
MOVIES ON TV:
In case “What’s My Name: Muhammad Ali” isn’t enough of a boxing fix, a few “Rocky” sequels will air on IFC tonight. First, “Rocky III” airs at 6:30 PM EST before “Rocky IV” is on at 9:00 PM EST. Both the Champ and the Italian Stallion being shown on one night seems like a pretty solid one-two punch. A heavy Ivan Drago-type punch, perhaps.
Besides more boxing, more Marvel heroes are also in store. As it turns out, “Captain America: The First Avenger” is not the only film that will fulfill the Marvel fix. On the BBC starting at 6:00 PM EST, “The Punisher,” which stars Thomas Jane as the titular avenger, airs. “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” will be on Spike TV at 8:00 PM EST for anyone who wants another origin story about a superhero that’s an immense fan favorite.
NEW TV EPISODES:
In case those programs aren’t of interest, check out new episodes of these television shows.
- “NCIS” (CBS) at 8:00 PM EST
- “American Housewife” (ABC) at 8:00 PM EST
- “The Village” (NBC) at 8:00 PM EST
- “MasterChef Junior” (FOX) at 8:00 PM EST
- “The Flash” (The CW) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Intervention” (A&E) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Anderson Cooper 360” (CNN) at 8:00 PM EST
- “The Bold Type” (Freeform) at 8:00 PM EST
- “The Curse of Civil War Gold: Diving Deeper” (History) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Little People, Big World” (TLC) at 8:00 PM EST
- “The Kids are Alright” (ABC) at 8:30 PM EST
- “FBI” (CBS) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Black-ish” (ABC) at 9:00 PM EST
- “The Voice” (NBC) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Mental Samurai” (FOX) at 9:00 PM EST
- “The 100” (The CW) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Lone Star Law” (Animal Planet) at 9:00 PM EST
- “The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” (Bravo) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Deadliest Catch” (Discovery) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Chopped” (Food Network) at 9:00 PM EST
- “A Deadly Bargain” (ID) at 9:00 PM EST
- “The Rachel Maddow Show” (MSNBC) at 9:00 PM EST
- “The Haves and the Have Nots” (OWN) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Bless This Mess” (CBS) at 9:30 PM EST
- “NCIS: New Orleans” (CBS) at 10:00 PM EST
- “1969” (ABC) at 10:00 PM EST
- “New Amsterdam” (NBC) at 10:00 PM EST
- “Frontline” (PBS) at 10:00 PM EST
- “Tosh.0” (Comedy Central) at 10:00 PM EST
- “House Hunters” (HGTV) at 10:00 PM EST
- “True Conviction” (ID) at 10:00 PM EST
What do you plan on watching tonight? Are you feeling pretty heroic? Please share your thoughts in the comments section!
CHECK OUT ALL THE OFFICIAL PREDICTIONS ON THE CIRCUIT HUB AND MAKE YOUR OWN!