2014 OSCAR PREDICTIONS: BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
(UPDATED: FEBRUARY 28, 2014)
FINAL PREDICTIONS: A mostly admirable slate at the end of the day. ”Ernest & Celestine” is a wonderful picture that will definitely have admirers since it won the LAFCA. But we all know that this is the space for Disney’s “Frozen” to reap all the benefits. It’s a return to form for the Disney princess genre. ”The Wind Rises,” which was a critical favorite, still has some juice left in it too. Dreamworks is putting every last dollar behind “The Croods” which could make for a shocking surprise. I think this is solidified for Disney.
AND THE NOMINEES ARE:
- Frozen - (Walt Disney Pictures)
Big moneymaker and the return of the Disney princess. Globe winner.
- The Wind Rises - (Walt Disney Pictures)
Miyazaki’s last film and has won the majority of Animated Feature awards from critics.
- The Croods - (Dreamworks Animation)
So much money being thrown at the film.
- Despicable Me 2 - (Universal Pictures)
Made tons of money this year. Popular choice with audiences.
- Ernest & Celestine - (GKIDS)
GKIDS is awaiting that one rabbit in the hat trick. This could be it.
WHO MISSED THE CUT?
- Monsters University - (Pixar Studios)
No Golden Globe nomination gave us a big hint it seems.
- Epic - (20th Century Fox)
Early release kept this film on the outside.
- A Letter to Momo - (GKIDS)
Another quality pic from GKIDS. No one saw it.
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 - (Sony Pictures Animation)
The first one missed. This one did too.
- Turbo - (Dreamworks)
A summer film that critics didn’t like too much.
- Disney’s Planes - (Walt Disney)
- The Legend of Sarila - (Phase 4 Films)
- Khumba - (Millennium Entertainment)
- O Apóstolo - (EFG-Renascence)
- The Fake - (Studio Dadashow)
- Free Birds - (Relativity Media)
- Rio: 2096 A Story of Love and Fury - (Europe Filmes)
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie – Rebellion - (Aniplex America)
- The Smurfs 2 - (Sony Pictures)
GO AND CHECK OUT OTHER CATEGORIES:
PICTURE | DIRECTOR | LEAD ACTOR | LEAD ACTRESS | SUPPORTING ACTOR | SUPPORTING ACTRESS | ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY | ADAPTED SCREENPLAY | ANIMATED FEATURE | PRODUCTION DESIGN | CINEMATOGRAPHY | COSTUME DESIGN | FILM EDITING | MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING | SOUND MIXING | SOUND EDITING | VISUAL EFFECTS | ORIGINAL SCORE | ORIGINAL SONG | DOCUMENTARY FEATURE | FOREIGN LANGUAGE | LIVE ACTION SHORT | ANIMATED SHORT | DOCUMENTARY SHORT