2014 OSCAR PREDICTIONS: BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
(UPDATED: FEBRUARY 28, 2014)
FINAL PREDICTIONS: I could not be happier that the Academy recognized the stunning work of “Her” in this category, unfortunately I’m not sure that the film will resonate with the voters to want to reward it despite a win at the Art Directors Guild. ”12 Years a Slave,” “The Great Gatsby,” and “Gravity” look to be the three leading contenders. BAFTA chose “The Great Gatsby” but “12 Years a Slave” may pick up something else à la Lincoln last year. Then again, Visual Effects matches with this Academy pretty often. Damn you Mark Johnson, I’m going with “Gravity.”
AND THE NOMINEES ARE:
- Gravity - Andy Nicholson, Rosie Goodwin
The space station creations were amazing. This is one of the techs it COULD miss out on from the branches. Art Directors Guild winner.
- The Great Gatsby - Catherine Martin, Beverly Dunn
Dazzling visuals. Luhrmann’s films don’t disappoint on the aesthetic level. BAFTA winner. Art Directors Guild winner.
- 12 Years a Slave - Adam Stochausen, Alice Baker
Best Picture frontrunner with lots of set decorations that impressed many.
- Her - K.K. Barrett, Gene Serdena
They usually don’t make contemporary choices but I’m so glad they did. Art Directors Guild winner.
- American Hustle - Judy Becker, Heather Loeffler
Disco clubs, hotel rooms, and other venues showcase Russell’s finest looking film.
WHO MISSED THE CUT?
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Dan Hennah, Ra Vincent
Fantasy that they finally passed on.
- Inside Llewyn Davis - Jess Gonchor, Susan Bode
The 1960′s have never looked this good. Oscar didn’t feel that way.
- The Invisible Woman - Maria Djurkovic, Tatiana MacDonald
Oscar loves period pieces, just not this one.
- Saving Mr. Banks - Michael Corenblith, Lauren E. Polizzi
The walk through Disney World may have hit with some but not enough.
- Oz: The Great and Powerful - Robert Stromberg, Nancy Haigh
Fantasy epic and made a lot of money during its run. They ignored it altogether.
- Lee Daniels’ The Butler - Tim Galvan, Diane Lederman
- The Lone Ranger - Jess Gonchor
- The Book Thief - Simon Elliott, Mark Rosinski
- Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom - Johnny Breedt, Fred Du Preez, Melinda Launspach
- Labor Day - Steve Saklad, Tracey A. Doyle
- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Jeff Mann, Regina Graves
- Rush - Mark Digby
- The Grandmaster - William Chang
- Ain’t Them Bodies Saints - Jade Healy
- Elysium - Philip Ivey
- The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - Philip Messina
- Star Trek Into Darkness - Scott Chambliss
- August: Osage County - David Gropman; Nancy Haigh
- The Conjuring - Julie Berghoff, Sophia Neudorfer
- Kill Your Darlings - Stephen Carter
- Frozen - Michael Giaimo
- Blue Jasmine - Santo Laquasto
- Stoker - Therese DuPrez
- Captain Phillips - Paul Kirby
- Ender’s Game - Ben Procter, Sean Haworth
GO AND CHECK OUT OTHER CATEGORIES:
PICTURE | DIRECTOR | LEAD ACTOR | LEAD ACTRESS | SUPPORTING ACTOR | SUPPORTING ACTRESS | ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY | ADAPTED SCREENPLAY | ANIMATED FEATURE | PRODUCTION DESIGN | CINEMATOGRAPHY | COSTUME DESIGN | FILM EDITING | MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING | SOUND MIXING | SOUND EDITING | VISUAL EFFECTS | ORIGINAL SCORE | ORIGINAL SONG | DOCUMENTARY FEATURE | FOREIGN LANGUAGE | LIVE ACTION SHORT | ANIMATED SHORT | DOCUMENTARY SHORT