2015 OSCAR PREDICTIONS: BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
(UPDATED: APRIL 12, 2014)
This past year produced one of my favorite Supporting Actress winners in some time. This category typically goes for the young, hot girl at the moment so this could change dramatically in the coming months. Rob Marshall has been known to get the best out of his supporting actresses (Catherine Zeta-Jones, Penelope Cruz), even when AMPAS doesn’t necessarily notice (Gong Li). Anna Kendrick may become a serious force by the year’s end. I’m also keeping my eye on Kristin Scott Thomas to capitalize and score a deserved second nomination. Anything else will be all up to chance.
AND THE NOMINEES ARE:
- Kristen Scott Thomas - Suite Française
It’s a disappointing fact that Thomas only has one Oscar nomination to her credit despite many memorable roles over the years. With rumors that she’s hanging it up, perhaps this could be a well oiled vehicle for her to shine.
- Anna Kendrick - Into the Woods
Its said to be the emotional center of the entire musical and she may be able to capture the magic a la Catherine Zeta-Jones in “Chicago.” She’ll also likely be a popular audience favorite. All she needs is Streep not to suck the air out of the room.
- Judy Greer - Men, Women, & Children
Many thought she was the near miss for “The Descendants” and better than Woodley. With a Reitman vehicle now, she has a role that offer up some pretty cool moments.
- Meryl Streep - Into the Woods
She’s the Queen. They have been known to take a year off from time to time and after making the cut for “August: Osage County,” a performance that lacked the enthusiasm from some of her devoted followers, there may be “Streep-fatigue” settling in.
- Julianne Moore - Map to the Stars
Here we are again. Four nominations and she’s yet to win her award. A Cronenberg vehicle COULD do it but after predicting her for several years for “The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio” and “The English Teacher,” I’ll wait hopeful on the sidelines.
WHO MISSED THE CUT?
- Kelly Reilly - Calvary
Terrific in “Flight,” a performance that should have been nominated. Opposite Brendan Gleeson, this sounds pretty baity.
- Patricia Arquette - Boyhood
Aging on screen for 12 years, in a Richard Linklater film, should be interesting just to watch. The early reviews say she’s fantastic.
- Naomi Watts - Birdman
After finally scoring her second nomination for “The Impossible,” Watts will return to comedy in this Alejandro Gonzalez Innaritu film. She’s been great before in films like “I Heart Huckabees.” I’m intrigued.
- Jena Malone - Inherent Vice
Said to be an eclectic role in the book and if the film becomes a big player, she can probably come on through. She’ll also have “The Hunger Games” at the same time.
- Samantha Morton - Miss Julie
After a mysterious and controversial story surrounding her axe from “Her,” this two-time Oscar nominee may start getting some recognition in the industry. Call it a hunch.
- Viola Davis - Get on Up
- Emma Stone - Magic in the Moonlight
- Sophie Okonedo - War Book
- Krysten Ritter - Big Eyes
- Felicity Jones - Theory of Everything
- Miranda Otto - The Homesman
- Melonie Diaz - The Cobbler
- Holly Hunter - Manglehorn
- Noomi Rapace - Child 44
- Emma Stone - Birdman
- Rosemarie DeWitt - Kill the Messenger
- Noomi Rapace - The Drop
- Chloe Grace Moretz - Laggies
- Indira Varma - Exodus: Gods and Kings
- Olivia Williams - Maps to the Stars
- Amanda Seyfried - While We’re Young
- Vanessa Redgrave - Foxcatcher
- Laura Dern - 99 Homes
- Chloe Grace Moretz - Dark Places
- Imogen Poots - Knight of Cups
- Vera Farmiga - The Judge
- Marcia Gay Harden - Magic in the Moonlight
- Elisabeth Moss - Listen Up Phillip
- Anna Kendrick - Get a Job
- Lesley Manville - Mr. Turner
- Lily Rabe - Pawn Sacrifice
- Sigourney Weaver - Exodus: Gods and Kings
- Hannah Murray - God Help the Girl
- Brie Larson - The Gambler
- Daisy Bevan - The Two Faces of January
GO AND CHECK OUT OTHER CATEGORIES:
PICTURE | DIRECTOR | LEAD ACTOR | LEAD ACTRESS | SUPPORTING ACTOR | SUPPORTING ACTRESS | ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY | ADAPTED SCREENPLAY | ANIMATED FEATURE | PRODUCTION DESIGN | CINEMATOGRAPHY | COSTUME DESIGN | FILM EDITING | MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING | SOUND MIXING | SOUND EDITING | VISUAL EFFECTS | ORIGINAL SCORE | ORIGINAL SONG | DOCUMENTARY FEATURE | FOREIGN LANGUAGE | LIVE ACTION SHORT | ANIMATED SHORT | DOCUMENTARY SHORT