As we get ready to end the month of July, we’ll be getting the official lineups for the fall festivals that will include Venice, Telluride, Toronto, and New York. AwardsCircuit.com will be bringing coverage from all of them this year, and we are eagerly awaiting to see which Oscar hopefuls will play where.
It was announced recently that Alejandro G. Inarritu’s “The Revenant” with Leonardo DiCaprio will not be ready in time for any fall festivals, and its been said that Thomas McCarthy’s “Spotlight” will show at Venice. Obviously, the big news was that Don Cheadle’s “Miles Ahead,” a film still without distribution, nabbed up the closing spot at the New York Film Festival. Past closers have included Spike Jonze’s “Her” and Robert Zemeckis’ “Flight.”
The big question for you all today is this: if you were a festival program director, without having seen any of the films coming this year, what TEN films would you choose to have their premiere at YOUR festival?
You can mix it up with big blockbusters, foreign films, documentaries, even films that have already screened at festivals like Sundance and Cannes. You are to also make the assumption that the films ARE finished and the studios would grant the request. Choose an opener, closer, and if you choose, a centerpiece. Make sure its ONLY TEN!
Sounds easy, but rest assure, you’ll probably start making some tough decisions.
Include your ten films in the comment section below.
Here are the ten I’d choose (in playing order):
- Opening Night Film – “Everybody Wants Some” (Paramount Pictures) from director Richard Linklater
- “Spotlight” (Open Road Films) from director Thomas McCarthy
- “The Little Prince” (Paramount Vantage) from director Mark Osborne
- “Carol” (The Weinstein Company) from director Todd Haynes
- “I Saw the Light” (Sony Pictures Classics) from director Marc Abarham
- CENTERPIECE Selection – “Son of Saul” (Sony Pictures Classics) from director László Nemes
- “A Bigger Splash” (Fox Searchlight Pictures) from director Luca Guadagnino
- “By the Sea” (Universal Pictures) from director Angelina Jolie
- “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” (Walt Disney Pictures) from director J.J. Abrams
- CLOSING Selection – “The Revenant” (20th Century Fox) from Alejandro G. Inarritu