The shortlist for the Oscar for Makeup and Hairstyling was announced earlier today, with seven films still in the running. There were big omissions including Tom Hooper’s “The Danish Girl” and Todd Haynes’ “Carol,” which both had been pegged as frontrunners. Also missing are “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” and “In the Heart of the Sea.”
Check out the list of seven below. Which three will make the cut?
- “Black Mass” (Warner Bros.)
- “Concussion” (Sony Pictures)
- “Legend” (Universal Pictures)
- “Mad Max: Fury Road” (Warner Bros.)
- “Mr. Holmes” (Roadside Attractions)
- “The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared” (Buena Vista)
- “The Revenant” (20th Century Fox)
Warner Bros. must be feeling pretty confident as two of their big contenders made the cut. If you ask me, “Mad Max: Fury Road” may have just etched itself a win here but this category can offer plenty of surprises. The work on “The Revenant,” especially the brutality of the wounds of its subject Hugo Glass (played by Leonardo DiCaprio) is well worth the vote as is the makeup job done on Whitey Bulger in “Black Mass.” Will Smith’s work isn’t obvious in “Concussion” but when dawned upon, it stands out as a clear achievement.
What about the little seen “The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared” or the undervalued “Mr. Holmes?”
Share your thoughts in the comments!