“Mad Max: Fury Road” is one of the most critically acclaimed films of 2015, with several big nominations in key precursor awards. One person isn’t interested in seeing more of the film, though: director George Miller.
Miller, who was nominated Tuesday for a DGA for the film, told the New York Post’s Page Six, “I won’t make more ‘Mad Max’ movies. ‘Fury Road’ with Charlize Theron, Zoë Kravitz, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Riley Keough was forever getting completed. If you finish one in a year, it’s considered a leap of faith. Start, stop, start again.”
Miller is referring to the troubled production of “Fury Road,” which had famously been in development hell for years. The first version of the film, which had Mel Gibson attached at the time, was set to begin filming as early as 2001.
Miller further explained, “I’ve shot in Australia in a field of wild flowers and flat red earth when it rained heavily forever. We had to wait 18 months and every return to the US was 27 hours. Those ‘Mad Maxes’ take forever. I won’t do those anymore.”
The director’s latest comments seem to contradict those he’s made in the past. Variety reported in May of last year that Miller had said years ago that he planned to shoot two films in the franchise back-to-back.
With or without Miller, star Tom Hardy has confirmed that he is tentatively signed on for three films in the series. If Miller doesn’t return as director, it’s possible he would stay on as producer or some other role within the film.
For now, Miller seems keen to move on. For his next project, he told Entertainment Weekly that he wants to do something more low-key and small. “Something without too much technical difficulty – just something more performance-based, just to sort of clear the exhaust,” he said.