George Miller WILL do More ‘Mad Max,’ Says He was Misquoted

george miller

Just moments after being nominated for two Oscars this morning for producing and directing “Mad Max: Fury RoadGeorge Miller set the record straight on comments he made earlier this week. Contrary to reports, he says he is definitely not done with the series, saying he has “two more stories” left to do.

In a story that ran in Page Six Monday evening, Miller was quoted as saying, “I won’t make more ‘Mad Max’ movies. ‘Fury Road’ with Charlize Theron, Zoë Kravitz, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Riley Keough was forever getting completed. If you finish one in a year, it’s considered a leap of faith. Start, stop, start again.”

He went on to detail the process of shooting in Australia and traveling back and forth between there and the U.S., and ultimately declared, “Those ‘Mad Maxes’ take forever. I won’t do those anymore.”

Now, in a new interview, Miller is denying he ever said that. “That was a completely garbled interview. I was in New York and it was so noisy and the journalist was asking me questions on a red carpet at the National Board of Review,” he said.

He continues, “She completely got the wrong fragments of information that were just not true. I said no, [another ‘Mad Max’ movie] will not be next, and she took that to mean I never wanted to make another ‘Mad Max.’ It won’t necessarily be next, but I have two more stories.”

There is no word yet on what film will be next; however, Miller recently told The Wall Street Journal that he wants something “contemporary, something that you can get through quick,” for his next project.

This news comes on the heels of an extremely rewarding morning for “Mad Max: Fury Road,” as it garnered a whopping 10 nominations at this year’s Academy Awards. It was second only to “The Revenant,” which was nominated for 12 awards.