Earlier this week rumors of extensive reshoots for Disney’s “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” were confirmed, according to a report by The Hollywood Reporter. Now, a new report is claiming that the reshoots are going to be even more extensive than originally thought.
According to a report from Making Star Wars (which usually has good information, according to Indiewire’s The Playlist) 40 percent of the film is expected to be reshot over eight weeks, instead of the four weeks’ worth that was being reported previously. A rumored 32 sets are being rebuilt for the shoots.
It’s important to note, however, that this latest batch of information has not been confirmed, and an additional claim from the report has already been debunked. The article stated that Christopher McQuarrie (who reportedly worked on an early draft of the script) would be on set to help out, but in a statement to Slashfilm, McQuarrie completely shot down that rumor.
The original reports claimed that the cast and crew, which includes stars Felicity Jones (“The Theory of Everything”), Diego Luna, Forest Whitaker and director Gareth Edwards, will be reshooting in order to “lighten the mood, bring some levity into the story and restore a sense of fun to the adventure,” the report says.
According to a source, execs screened the film and found that it didn’t match the tone of “Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope.” Although the film is being touted as a spinoff and not a prequel, the source says the film is “the closest thing to a prequel ever” and “leads up to the 10 minutes before [A New Hope] begins.” Instead of the fun, action/sci-fi adventure feel of the original films, “Rogue One” reportedly felt more like a somber war movie. The plot of the film revolves around resistance fighters who embark on a daring mission to steal the Empire’s plans for the Death Star. In the original trilogy, Princess Leia winds up with the plans and gives them to R2-D2.
There are also rumors that in addition to changing the tone of the film, a cameo will be added to include the newly casted Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo. This has not been confirmed, however.
Original reports of a reshoot came by way of the New York Post, who reported that the film was not testing well. THR clarifies that “Rogue One” has not been screened for audiences yet, just studio execs. The outlet also points out that reshoots are not uncommon, especially for large movies such as this. The actors even have it built into their contracts when they first board a film. In addition, J.J. Abrams reportedly tinkered quite a bit with “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” at the last minute prior to that film’s release.
“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” is due for release on December 16 of this year.