Back in June rumors of extensive reshoots for Disney’s “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” were confirmed, according to a report by The Hollywood Reporter. Now, details of those reshoots have come to light, thanks once again to the folks over at THR.
The outlet confirms the reshoots took place over a span of five weeks, and that Tony Gilroy, an uncredited writer for “Rogue One” and director and writer of some of the “Bourne” franchise films, had stepped in to take the lead on the reshoots and post-production. The outlet writes:
Gilroy, 59, writer of several Bourne movies and director of The Bourne Legacy and Michael Clayton, became the driving force behind Rogue One‘s extensive, recently wrapped reshoots, which ran around five weeks. Now he is said to be “supervising” the edit with input from [“Rogue One”director Gareth Edwards], who scored the Rogue One job after his 2014 Godzilla reboot impressed Lucasfilm’s Kathleen Kennedy. Edwards, 40, remains very much involved and still is the face of the movie, appearing at Star Wars Celebration in mid-July.
Hidden in the middle of the report was another gem: the ending was one of the things the Gilroy-led reshoots sought to change. Gilroy previously assisted Edwards with “Godzilla” as well. The outlet also notes that the process has so far been a collaborative one.
The original reports of reshoots claimed that the cast and crew, which includes stars Felicity Jones (“The Theory of Everything”), Diego Luna, Forest Whitaker and director Gareth Edwards, would be reshooting in order to “lighten the mood, bring some levity into the story and restore a sense of fun to the adventure.”
According to a source, execs screened the film and found that it didn’t match the tone of “Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope.” Although the film is being touted as a spinoff and not a prequel, the source says the film is “the closest thing to a prequel ever” and “leads up to the 10 minutes before [A New Hope] begins.” Instead of the fun, action/sci-fi adventure feel of the original films, “Rogue One” reportedly felt more like a somber war movie.
The plot of the film revolves around resistance fighters who embark on a daring mission to steal the Empire’s plans for the Death Star. In the original trilogy, Princess Leia winds up with the plans and gives them to R2-D2.
There are also rumors that in addition to changing the tone of the film, a cameo will be added to include the newly casted Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo. This has not been confirmed, however.
It should be noted that reshoots are not uncommon, especially for large movies such as this. The actors even have it built into their contracts when they first board a film. In addition, J.J. Abrams reportedly tinkered quite a bit with “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” at the last minute prior to that film’s release.
“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” is due for release on December 16 of this year.