The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced the shortlist for Best Animated Short today.
A whopping 69 films were in contention, but the shortlist has whittled those down to 10. Five of the following films will make it on to Oscar nomination morning on Jan. 24. The winner will of course be announced on Oscar Sunday, Feb. 26.
The 10 films on the shortlist are:
- “Blind Vaysha,” Theodore Ushev, director (National Film Board of Canada)
- “Borrowed Time,” Andrew Coats and Lou Hamou-Lhadj, directors (Quorum Films)
- “Happy End,” Jan Saska, director (FAMU – Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague)
- “The Head Vanishes,” Franck Dion, director (Papy3D Productions, National Film Board of Canada and ARTE France Cinema Department)
- “Inner Workings,” Leo Matsuda, director, and Sean Lurie, producer (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
- “Once upon a Line,” Alicja Jasina, director (University of Southern California)
- “Pear Cider and Cigarettes,” Robert Valley, director, and Cara Speller, producer (Massive Swerve Studios and Passion Pictures Animation)
- “Pearl,” Patrick Osborne, director (Google Spotlight Stories/Evil Eye Pictures)
- “Piper,” Alan Barillaro, director, and Marc Sondheimer, producer (Pixar Animation Studios)
- “Sous Tes Doigts (Under Your Fingers),” Marie-Christine Courtès, director, and Ludivine Berthouloux, art director (Vivement Lundi! and Novanima)
“Inner Workings” represents Disney (it debuted in front of “Moana” this week), and “Piper” hails from Pixar (it appeared before “Finding Dory” this summer).
If one or both of those two films are nominated, Disney or Pixar will have been nominated in the category for the last seven years. They’ve won twice in that time. Since the start of the category, Disney holds the records for most nominations and most wins, with 49 and 15, respectively. Pixar has 12 nominations and three wins.
Tell us: What do you think of the shortlist for Best Animated Short? Who do you think the final five will be? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!