Production is officially underway on the long-rumored sequel, “Top Gun: Maverick.”
Megastar Tom Cruise shared the news on Twitter this morning, along with a teaser photo of himself in a flight suit.
— Tom Cruise (@TomCruise) May 31, 2018
The film has been in development for years. Original director Tony Scott had been trying to get it made for a long time. It seemed to get some traction in the months before his 2012 death. But it wasn’t until after his passing that the project started to finally take shape.
Last year during press for “The Mummy,” Cruise confirmed that the film would, indeed, happen, and even confirmed the title. He told Access Hollywood’s Scott Evans:
“Aviators are back, the need for speed. We’re going to have big, fast machines. It’s going to be a competition film, like the first one…but a progression for Maverick.”
He did not confirm which of the original cast would be returning, or which up and comers would be donning flight suits. There are rumors that Goose’s now adult son will be part of the new class. Also unconfirmed? Whether the boys of Top Gun will be facing a beach volleyball rematch.
Joseph Kosinski is directing. Kosinski’s second first film was “Oblivion,” which starred Cruise, Andrea Riseborough, Morgan Freeman, and Melissa Leo. He also directed last year’s “Only the Brave,” which told the true story of the firefighters known as the Granite Mountain Hotshots.
Peter Craig, Justin Marks, and Eric Warren Singer wrote the script. Singer reunites with Kosinski, after penning “Only the Brave.” Marks wrote “The Jungle Book,” and currently writes for the Starz series “Counterpart.” Craig wrote Ben Affleck’s 2010 film “The Town,” and both parts of “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay.”
“Top Gun: Maverick” is produced by Paramount Pictures and Skydance, and is set for release on July 12, 2019.