It is a rather quiet evening on television but looks for some fun movies tonight on TV. However, CBS should get some viewers their way with a clip show on “The Super Bowl’s Greatest Commercials” at 8 PM. With the big game less than a week away, catch up on your favorites. “Real Time with Bryant Gumbel” returns to HBO tonight as well. However, the Disney flick “Tangled” will draw a good amount of viewers on the day it makes its “Kindom Hearts” debut. “Twister” and “Big Trouble in Little China” should make for some camp movies with cool action.
Pick of the Day
“Super Bowl’s Greatest Commercials” (CBS) at 8 PM
An enjoyable pastime that even creates pop culture, the Super Bowl Commercials continue to be a great piece of the experience. CBS will air “The Super Bowl’s Greatest Commercials” tonight, giving audiences a blast from the past. A collection of fun Super Bowl ads may not strike a chord with all audiences, but the fact that CBS put this in primetime means there is a market for the content. Fingers crossed for some Budweiser Frogs, weird Doritos ads, and probably an absurd Pepsi commercial. Check it out at 8 PM on CBS.
No premieres tonight.
Tonight, the “60 Minutes” of sports broadcasting takes over HBO. “Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel” returns for its 25th season. The show always dives deep into the human interest aspect of sports, and without needing to cultivate the relationships with the leagues, it has brought out hard-hitting journalism. The Peabody winning show kicks off this season with at least one discussion about breaking news in the digital age. Check out a clip from an interview with Adam Schefter below.
Movies on TV
A visual effects marvel when it released, “Twister” continues to be a fun popcorn film from the 1990s. Starring Bill Paxton, future Oscar winner Helen Hunt, Cary Elwes, and even Philip Seymour Hoffman fill out the great cast. The film combined practical effects with some special sound design to make you feel as if your theater was about to get pulled into the sky. Ultimately, the film lost its two Oscar nominations, but “Twister” remains a fun blockbuster that was never sullied by sequels. AMC will air the film at 8 PM.
Recent years have seen a reevaluation of the great Kurt Russell as an icon. The actor not only showed off his action skills over the course of the 1980s, but it turns out he had acting chops. “Big Trouble in Little China” may not feel like an acting showcase, but it allowed Russell to do his best John Wayne impression. The film from John Carpenter will air on Cinemax at 8 PM and remains a joyously ridiculous spoof. Ultimately the film is ridiculous, but that does not disqualify it from being one of the best film on TV tonight.
Finally, “Tangled” airs on Freeform at 9 PM. The Disney film has become an extremely popular brand for the company in recent years, even earning its own spinoff animated series. Still, the original film felt like an amazing throwback to the old school animated films of the Disney Renaissance. The story of Rapunzel and Flynn Rider has some great Alan Menkin tunes and an underrated villain in Mother Gothel. The franchise is actually a playable world in “Kingdom Hearts 3″ (which releases today), so if its a blind spot, check it out.
There are plenty of other shows airing new episodes tonight. Use this as a helpful guide when channel surfing tonight. Make sure you don’t miss the latest episodes of your favorite shows. Once again, times may vary by local area. Please check your local guide for the most accurate times.
- “Super Bowl’s Greatest Commercials” (CBS) at 8 PM
- “Ellen’s Game of Games” (NBC) at 8 PM and 9 PM
- “Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates Jr.” (PBS) at 8 PM
- “American Experience” (PBS) at 9 PM
- “Frontline” (PBS) at 10 PM
- “The Flash” (CW) at 8 PM
- “Roswell, New Mexico” (PBS) at 9 PM
- “Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath” (A&E) at 9 PM
- “The Many Sides of Jane” (A&E) at 10 PM
- “Lone Star Law” (Animal Planet) at 8 PM and 9 PM
- “Alaska Law” (Animal Planet) at 10 PM
- “The Family Business” (BET) at 9 PM
- “Below Deck” (Bravo) at 9 PM
- “Drunk History” (Comedy Central) at 10 PM
- “Corporate” (Comedy Central) at 10:30 PM
- “Building Off the Grid” (DIY) at 9 PM
- “Garage Rehab” (Discover) at 8 & 9 PM
- “Bad Chad Customs” (Discover) at 9 PM
- “Chopped” (Food) at 9 PM
- “Good Trouble” (Freeform) at 8 PM
- “Backroad Bounty” (FYI) at 10 PM
- “Windy City Rehab” (HGTV) at 9 PM
- “House Hunters” (HGTV) at 10 PM
- “House Hunters: International” (HGTV) at 10:30 PM
- “The Curse of Oak Island” (History) at 8 PM and 9 PM
- “Project Blue Book” (History) at 10 PM
- “Married at First Sight” (Lifetime) at 8 PM, 9 PM
- “Lindsay Lohan’s Beach Club” (MTV) at 8 PM
- “Siesta Key” (MTV) at 9 PM
- “Life Below Zero” (Nat. Geo) at 9 PM
- “Port Protection Alaska” (Nat. Geo) at 10 PM
- “The Haves and Have Nots” (OWN) at 9 PM
- “What on Earth?” (Science) at 9 PM
- “How the Universe Works” (Science) at 10 PM
- “Inside the NFL” (Showtime) at 9 PM
- “Humongous Moves” (Smithsonian) at 9 PM
- “My Big Fat Fabulous Life” (TLC) at 8 PM
- “I Am Jazz” (TLC) at 9 PM
- “Expedition Unknown” (Travel) at 9 PM
- “Legend Hunter” (Travel) at 10 PM
- “Adam Ruins Everything” (TruTV) at 10 PM
- “Teachers” (TVLand) at 10 PM
- “Temptation Island” (USA) at 10 PM