It’s time for the Final Four! We’re going to start by announcing the results of our Circuit Madness 2019: Directors Elite Eight, and then announce our Final Four. With only the best of the best remaining, who will take home the championship? It’s time for the results.
Circuit Madness 2019 Elite Eight Results
Here are the results for the Elite Eight round:
- (1) Francis Ford Coppola – “The Godfather Part II” takes home the division crown over (3) Steven Spielberg – “Saving Private Ryan” with a 66% to 34% win
- While (8) Peter Jackson – “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King” takes out one of his fellow Cinderella Story, (10) Damien Chazelle – “La La Land” 67% to 33%
- (1) Michael Curtiz – “Casablanca” takes out (10) Ang Lee – “Brokeback Mountain” in the closest matchup of the round, 55% to 45%.
- Finally, Steven Spielberg still makes the Final Four with (1) “Schindler’s List” emerging triumphant (2) Mike Nichols – “The Graduate” 68% to 32%
Here are some notes on our Final Four:
- Michael Curtis is the lone director from pre-1970. “Casablanca” has rolled through the entire tournament but faces its toughest matchup yet
- Steven Spielberg could not quite get two of his films into the Final Four. With “Casablanca” on the horizon, two black and white movies go head-to-head.
- Francis Ford-Coppola nearly doubled Steven Spielberg last round. It will be interesting to see if his direction of “The Godfather Part II” stood on its own, or if having the outlet of a second Spielberg option gave him an edge.
- Peter Jackson comes into the Final Four as the only pure genre film left. It is also the most recent winner of the group. He’s the only competitor left that did not get a one seed in the tournament. Can he continue to be a giant killer?