It’s “Game of Thrones” night! HBO’s epic series returns for the final season tonight. The largest pop culture event since “Star Wars” will take over the internet. If you can’t make the “Thrones” premiere, beware. Speaking of epic tales, Jean Valjean gets a new story with the non-musical “Les Miserables” from PBS. Meanwhile “Gone with the Wind,” “Dirty Dancing,” and “The Incredibles” make for fun Oscar-winning flicks to check out.
Pick of the Day
“Game of Thrones” on HBO at 9 PM
There’s no question that “Game of Thrones” has been the talk of pop culture for more than half a decade. The last few months have only added to that discussion. After almost two years away, “Game of Thrones” comes to a close. Yet we have one last premiere to get us hyped up for season 2. Don’t worry, the episode clocks in at less than an hour tonight. But it will be one of the only two episodes that will be that short this season. Get ready for “Game of Thrones” to rightfully take over your night for the next six weeks. If you need a refresher, HBO will be airing a couple of Season 7 episodes earlier in the evening.
For those who are not in the mood for “Game of Thrones,” there are other prestige projects to check out. Rather quietly, PBS brought back a miniseries that will pull the eyes of the critical community. Spread across six episodes, this non-musical version of the Victor Hugo tale comes from an unexpected source. Andrew Davies wrote the series and he’s best known for writing “Bridget Jones‘ Diary” in 2001. However, in the years since, he’s also written on “House of Cards,” “War & Peace” and “Sense & Sensibility” in 2008. This one features an all-star cast, with Dominic West as Jean Valjean, David Oyelowo as Javert, and Lily Collins as Fantine. Perhaps even more exciting, Olivia Colman and Adeel Akhtar as the Thénardiers are extremely exciting and inspired choices. This will be one to keep an eye on as a dark horse contender in Limited Series this year.
Movies on TV
“Gone With the Wind” at 8 PM on TCM
If you’re in the mood for an Oscar heavyweight, you need to look no further than TCM. “Gone with the Wind” will take up your evening, but how can you deny one of the iconic films of the studio era? Nominated for thirteen Oscars, winner of eight awards, and recipient of two special achievement Oscars, it’s one of the great Oscar films. The legacy is not clean, but as a product of an era, it is important to examine what it contributed to cinema as well as how it helps us understand some of the darker aspects of America.
“The Incredibles” on Freeform at 7:10 PM
One of Pixar’s early surprises, “The Incredibles” reintroduced the world to Brad Bird. The director would become an icon in the world of animation, and quickly proved that “The Iron Giant” was far from a fluke. “The Incredibles” would win Animated Feature and Sound Editing Oscars, earn nominations for Screenplay and Sound Mixing, and spawn a sequel that would break box office records.
“Dirty Dancing” on Encore at 8:15 PM
When you think Oscar nominations, “Dirty Dancing” might not come to mind. However, “(I’ve Had) The Time of My Life” won Best Original Song. It also should have received serious consideration in other categories, but the 1988 Oscars was rather stacked.
There are plenty of other shows airing new episodes tonight. Use this as a helpful guide when channel surfing tonight. Make sure you don’t miss the latest episodes of your favorite shows. Once again, times may vary by local area. Please check your local guide for the most accurate times.
- “God Friended Me” (CBS) at 8 PM
- “NCIS: Los Angeles” (CBS) at 9 PM
- “Madame Secretary” (CBS) at 10 PM
- “American Idol” (ABC) at 8 PM
- “Shark Tank” (ABC) at 10 PM
- “World of Dance” (NBC) at 8 PM
- “Good Girls” (NBC) at 10 PM
- “Call the Midwife” (PBS) at 8 PM
- “Les Miserables” (PBS) at 9 PM
- “Unforgotten” (PBS) at 10 PM
- “Killing Eve” (AMC) at 8 PM
- “A Discovery of Witches” (AMC) at 9 PM
- “The Zoo” (Animal Planet) at 8 PM
- “Evan Goes Wild” (Animal Planet) at 9:00 PM
- “Killing Eve” (BBC America) at 8 PM
- “A Discovery of Witches” (BBC America) at 9 PM
- “Finding Justice” (BET) at 8 PM
- “The Real Housewives of Atlanta” (Bravo) at 8 PM
- “Married to Medicine: Los Angeles” (Bravo) at 9 PM
- “Watch What Happens Live” (Bravo) at 10 PM
- “Tricky Dick” (CNN) at 10 PM
- “Naked and Afraid” (Discovery) at 8 PM
- “Expedition Rediscovered” (Discovery) at 10 PM
- “Barnwood Builders” (DIY) at 9 PM
- “Keeping Up with the Kardashians” (E!) at 9 PM
- “Very Cavallari” (E!) at 10 PM
- “Buddy vs. Duff” (Food) at 9 PM
- “Bake You Rich” (Food) at 10 PM
- “Game of Thrones” (HBO) at 9 PM
- “Barry” (HBO) at 10:00 PM
- “Veep” (HBO) at 10:30 PM
- “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver” (HBO) at 11 PM
- “How Close Can I Beach” (HGTV) at 8 PM and 8:30 PM
- “Carribean Life” (HGTV) at 9 PM and 9:30 PM
- “Mediterranean Life” (HGTV) at 10 PM and 10:30 PM
- “American Pickers: Bonus Buys” (History) at 8 PM
- “Wicked Tuna” (National Geographic) at 8 PM & 9 PM
- “Savage Kingdom” (National Geographic) at 10 PM
- “Bar Rescue” (Paramount) at 10 PM
- “Egypt’s Unexplained Files” (Science) at 8 PM
- “Forbidden History” (Science) at 10 PM
- “Action” (Showtime) at 8 PM
- “Billions” (Showtime) at 9 PM
- “The Chi” (Showtime) at 10 PM
- “American Gods” (STARZ) at 8 PM
- “Now Apocalypse” (STARZ) at 9 PM
- “Sister Wives” (TLC) at 8 PM
- “Seeking Sister Wife” (TLC) at 10 PM
- “America Unearthed” (Travel) at 8 PM
- “Mission Declassified” (Travel) at 10 PM
What are you watching tonight? Share with us in the comments below!