Quentin Tarantino fans may be eagerly awaiting the release of “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” this summer. A little too anxiously, perhaps. But until then, those fans can revisit his previous films airing on television tonight. Meanwhile, the Green Arrow and the original Teenage Witch are making their way back to the small screen as well. Here’s what’s on TV today.
PICK OF THE DAY:
“Jackie Brown” (TMC) at 10 PM EST
“Jackie Brown” is arguably the most underrated film in Tarantino’s filmography. Despite being his follow-up to “Pulp Fiction,” it didn’t generate the same type of fanfare upon its release. However, it still revitalized Pam Grier’s film career and co-star Robert Forster garnered an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor.
If you’re a Tarantino fan and haven’t seen “Jackie Brown,” this is highly recommended. It feels pretty distant from his typical style with its heavy lack of expositional dialogue. Yet, its homage to classic cinema still remains the same. It’s an ode to the blaxploitation era with a tremendous ensemble cast.
“No Good Nick” on Netflix
“No Good Nick” seems like it’ll turn the “family sitcom” genre on its head. The series follows a family whose peace becomes disrupted by Nicole (Siena Agudong), a distant relative. Nicole, also known as “Nick,” plans on seeking revenge against the family for abandoning her. However, as she gets to know them more, she has a slow change of heart.
Because Melissa Joan Hart also stars, you can watch both “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” and a show with the original Sabrina herself on Netflix. Plus, it’s got Sean Astin who might not be coming back to “Stranger Things” but can still be seen here.
“Arrow” (The CW) at 9:00 PM EST
After a minor hiatus, “Arrow” is coming back to finish its seventh season. Also, instead of the usual 8:00 time, it will now air at 9:00 instead. But regardless, Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) is already back to his crime-fighting ways. If you’ve seen “Shazam!” and still want to get your DC fix, The CW certainly has you covered.
MOVIES ON TV:
“Inglourious Basterds” (FLIXe) at 8:00 PM EST
In case you do want more Tarantino, the WWII actioner “Inglourious Basterds” airs tonight. Unlike “Jackie Brown,” this one is far from underrated. It is his one of his most commercially successful films, having made $321 million worldwide. In addition, it introduced Christoph Waltz to American audiences. As Col. Hans Landa, Waltz is all sorts of chilling and calculating. Even from the film’s opening scene, it was clear he would win his eventual Oscar.
“Devil” (SyFy) at 10 PM EST
When it comes to underrated films in a famous director’s resume, “Devil” certainly takes that title. Although M. Night Shyamalan was only a producer, the film still came out when his career was a punchline. It also didn’t help that this and “The Last Airbender,” which he did direct, were released the same year. So, “Devil” was a victim of unfortunate timing. However, it still is worthy of a watch based on its simplistic premise. Plus, it offers plenty of genuine mystery to keep you guessing until the very end.
NEW TV EPISODES:
In case these programs don’t interest you, you can always check out new episodes for these shows.
- “The Neighborhood” (CBS) at 8:00 PM EST
- “American Idol” (ABC) at 8:00 PM EST
- “The Voice” (NBC) at 8:00 PM EST
- “The Resident” (FOX) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Antiques Roadshow” (PBS) at 8:00 PM EST
- “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow” (The CW) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Anderson Cooper 360” (CNN) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Street Outlaws: Full Throttle” (Discovery) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Shadowhunters” (Freeform) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Bargain Mansions” (HGTV) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Man With a Plan” (CBS) at 8:30 PM EST
- “The Code” (CBS) at 9:00 PM EST
- “9-1-1” (FOX) at 9:00 PM EST
- “The Rachel Maddow Show” (MSNBC) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Hostile Planet” (National Geographic) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Bull” (CBS) at 10:00 PM EST
- “The Fix” (ABC) at 10:00 PM EST
- “The Enemy Within” (NBC) at 10:00 PM EST
- “Into The Badlands” (AMC) at 10:00 PM EST
- “American Dad!” (TBS) at 10:00 PM EST