For anyone who is a fan of Tom Hanks and/or Disney, there are some exciting options in store. In addition, the coronation of a new documentary series examining royal figures of history will premiere, while the game show “Beat Shazam” returns to give viewers another dosage of reality. Here’s a closer look at what’s on TV.
PICK OF THE DAY:
“Mulan” (Freeform) at 7:00 PM EST
While “Cinderella” and “Sleeping Beauty” may be crowned the classic Disney princess films, “Mulan” certainly climbs to her own pedestal. The beloved animated feature is getting the live-action treatment with filmmaker Niki Caro, who directed the Oscar-nominated “Whale Rider,” at the helm. “Mulan” has struck such a chord with audiences that a petition begging Disney not to whitewash the live-action version went around the Internet before the film went into production. Featuring an inspiring message for children, and particularly young girls, “Mulan” is a film that will move audiences and entertain them, as well.
“Private Lives of the Monarchs” (Smithsonian) at 8:00 PM EST
“The Favourite” may have shown a glimpse at the history of Queen Anne of England, but the troubled monarch wasn’t the only ruler with a secret life. In this latest documentary series, “Private Lives of the Monarchs” examines the untold stories of famed kings and queens. For the first season, the series explores Queen Victoria and her relationships with both her husband Prince Albert and her son Edward. It’s a must-see for Anglophiles and history novices alike.
“Beat Shazam” (FOX) at 9:00 PM EST
“Beat Shazam,” which returns for its third season, seems like a tune everyone can sing to. Hosted by Oscar winner Jamie Foxx, this game show has teams of two compete against each other to identify the biggest hit songs of all time. They must also beat the clock in order to win the game and claim cash prizes. For anyone who’s a music lover, this should be a fun, entertaining watch.
MOVIES ON TV:
“Toy Story” (Freeform) at 9:00 PM EST
The upcoming sequel, “Toy Story 4,” should feel like an event for fans of this much loved series. While several fans eagerly anticipate its release, the film that started it all and was the first picture from Pixar, is on tonight. The original “Toy Story” introduced audiences to Woody (voiced by Tom Hanks), Buzz Lightyear (voiced by Tim Allen), and the rest of their toy pals. Woody and Buzz may have had an initial falling out, but the pair eventually grasp the true meaning of friendship. Even after its release 24 years ago, “Toy Story” still makes fans want to reach for the skies.
“Apollo 13” (National Geographic) at 8:00 PM EST
Along with “Toy Story,” Tom Hanks’ other acclaimed film from 1995 returns to the small screen tonight. Based on a true story, “Apollo 13” follows three astronauts who took part in America’s third moon landing mission. For the astronauts, it was meant to be a simple expedition, but after an explosion on their shuttle, it became a struggle for survival. This high stakes drama was a blockbuster hit during its release, grossing $355 million worldwide, and won two Academy Awards. There will also be an encore presentation at 11:00 PM EST.
NEW TV EPISODES:
In case the aforementioned selections aren’t of interest, be sure to check out new episodes of these shows:
- “The Bachelorette” (ABC) at 8:00 PM EST
- “The Voice” (NBC) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Antiques Roadshow” (PBS) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Legends of Tomorrow” (The CW) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Live PD: Police Patrol” (A&E) at 8:00 PM EST and 8:30 PM EST
- “Alaska: The Last Frontier: The Last Edge” (Animal Planet) at 8:00 PM EST and 9:00 PM EST
- “Anderson Cooper 360” (CNN) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Street Outlaws: Full Throttle” (Discovery) at 8:00 PM EST
- “In Ice Cold Blood” (Oxygen) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Paranormal 911” (Travel) at 8:00 PM EST
- “The Code” (CBS) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Paradise Hotel” (FOX) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Live Rescue” (A&E) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Vanderpump Rules” (BRAVO) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Best Baker in America” (Food Network) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Street Outlaws” (Discovery) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Chernobyl” (HBO) at 9:00 PM EST
- “20/20 on ID Investigates” (ID) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Teen Mom 2” (MTV) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Buried in the Backyard” (Oxygen) at 9:00 PM EST
- “The Late Late Show Carpool Karaoke Special” (CBS) at 10:00 PM EST
- “The Fix” (ABC) at 10:01 PM EST
- “The Enemy Within” (NBC) at 10:00 PM EST
- “Independent Lens” (PBS) at 10:00 PM EST
- “Summer House” (Bravo) at 10:00 PM EST
- “Gentleman Jack” (HBO) at 10:05 PM EST
What do you plan on watching tonight? Please share your thoughts in the comments section!
CHECK OUT ALL THE OFFICIAL PREDICTIONS ON THE CIRCUIT HUB AND MAKE YOUR OWN!