HBO Latino, in partnership with the New York Latino Film Festival, will be launching the comedy competition “Latinos Stand-Up.” The competition will look to bring new waves of Latino comedians to the mic, opening entry to participants with the chance to win a spot on an HBO Latino comedy special, as well as meet show executives and comedian, writer and actress Gina Brillón, who will be hosting the contest. The launching of the competition will also raise visibility on diverse comedians from the Latino heritage and push the comedy industry forward.
From the press release:
“I’m excited to partner with NYLFF and HBO Latino in supporting our culture! As Latinos we love to laugh and make others laugh,” said Gina. “When I was 17, I got my first break at a local stand-up comedy contest and haven’t looked back since. I encourage everyone to enter and take advantage of this great opportunity to represent Latin comedic talent.”
“It’s truly exciting to partner on the “Latinos Stand-Up” competition to recognize and advance comedic talent. We’re proud of our continued growth and status as a leading identifier for fresh and emerging creatives in film, television and social media. This partnership further broadens our influence of being on the pulse of discovering Latino talent,” said Calixto Chinchilla, Founder and Executive Director of the New York Latino Film Festival.
The chosen top five finalists will be announced on Friday, August 16 at the New York Latino Film Festival. Brillón’s latest stand-up special, “Gina Brillón: Easily Offended” premieres on HBO Latino and HBO’s digital platforms on Friday, August 16th at 9:30pm ET. Find more info on the HBO Latino-hosted competition below, as well as prizes and eligibility.
HOW IT WORKS:
● Applicants must submit a 3-5 minute video online at www.NYLatinoFilmFestival.com(no cost to enter) of their live stand-up performance, in English, that has not been previously broadcast in any form. Submission deadline is Friday, June 28, 2019 by 11:59pm EST.
● All eligible submissions will be reviewed by a panel of screeners, comprised of NYLFF, HBO Latino executives, and Viva Pictures, the official Producers of Entre Nos, who will determine the top 5 finalists based on performance and creative material.
● The finalists will be invited to perform an 8-10 minute comedic performance at the “Latinos Stand-Up” competition, scheduled to take place in New York City during the New York Latino Film Festival from August 12 to 18, 2019.
● The five finalists will receive round trip tickets courtesy of American Airlines, the exclusive travel carrier of the New York Latino Film Festival.
● A panel of judges will select one (1) winner to be announced August 16th.
● Must be 21 years of age or older to participate.
● Open to all persons of Latino descent.
● Only TV-14 rated performances will be considered.
● U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents who physically reside in the United States, including Puerto Rico.
● The winning comic will receive a paid opportunity to appear in an upcoming HBO Latino ‘Entre Nos’ comedy special, including an all-expense paid trip to the taping, provided by Viva Pictures.
● The winner will have a chance to meet one-on-one with an HBO executive after the festival, as well as meet with actress, writer, and comedian Gina Brillón.
● NYLFF will provide each finalist with two (2) Festival passes.