Today is no lazy Sunday: there’s plenty of action happening on television. Sports are a major highlight, with both the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019 well underway and the NBA finals coming to a close. But there’s also some new shows coming your way courtesy of the premium cable channels, with HBO and Showtime both having series premieres tonight.
PICK OF THE DAY:
“FIFA Women’s World Cup: US v Chile” (FOX) at 12:00 PM EDT
After an explosive 13-0 victory in their first match of the 2019 Women’s World Cup, the US women’s soccer team has shown up ready to defend their title as world champions. This afternoon, they will play their second match of the tournament, facing off against the strong Chilean team (although the US is still heavily favored to win). Whether they will ultimately be able to bring home the trophy in a repeat of the 2015 World Cup remains to be seen, but one thing’s for sure, they’re putting on a pretty fantastic show.
“City on a Hill” (Showtime) at 9:00 PM EDT
“City on a Hill” is Showtime’s latest crime drama starring Kevin Bacon and Aldis Hodge. Set in gritty, pre-gentrification Boston during the 1990s, it revolves around an assistant district attorney who teams up with a corrupt FBI agent to tackle a wave of crime in the city. Produced by Boston’s golden boys, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, “City on a Hill” is being praised by critics for its strong acting and has been favorably compared to “The Wire”. High praise indeed!
“Euphoria” (HBO) at 10:00 PM EDT
Right out of the gate, HBO’s latest drama “Euphoria” has sparked controversy surrounding its graphic depiction of teen sex and drug use. Don’t get too worried, though. The famously explicit cable network has never been overly concerned with potential pearl-clutching, nor is there any evidence to suggest that it has affected viewership numbers. With this level of publicity and rising star Zendaya as its lead, “Euphoria” is poised to be one of the most talked about new shows of the season.
MOVIES ON TV:
“School of Rock” (CMT) at 6:30 PM EDT
Move aside, country music awards with Blake Shelton: CMT is branching out. Tonight audiences are treated to a showing of “School of Rock”, one of the great American comedies of the twenty-first century. Directed by Richard Linklater and starring Jack Black, “School of Rock” follows the journey of a failed musician who passes his love of rock music on to a group of prep school kids as they form a band as a sort of class project. Jack Black has rarely been better, and the film features some of Joan Cusack‘s most classic line readings (“I’ve just been informed…that all your children are missing.”). Two thumbs up!
NEW TV EPISODES:
Check out more of tonight’s television lineup below!
- “Luther” (BBC America) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Southern Charm New Orleans” (Bravo) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” (E!) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Good Witch” (Hallmark) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Our Cartoon President” (Showtime) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “The Spanish Princess” (Starz) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “The Good Fight” (CBS) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Endeavor” (PBS) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Fear the Walking Dead” (AMC) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “The Great Food Truck Race” (Food) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Big Little Lies” (HBO) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Vida” (Starz) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Claws” (TBS) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Island Hunters” (HGTV) at 10:00 PM EDT
- “American Princess” (Lifetime) at 10:00 PM EDT
- “NOS4A2” (AMC) at 10:05 PM EDT
- “Jamestown” (PBS) at 10:30 PM EDT
- “Last Week Tonight” (HBO) at 11:00 PM EDT
What do you plan on watching tonight? Please share your thoughts in the comments section!
CHECK OUT ALL THE OFFICIAL PREDICTIONS ON THE CIRCUIT HUB AND MAKE YOUR OWN!