While Pride Month is a time of celebration, it is also a vital period to acknowledge LGBTQ+ history. Tonight, there are two documentaries that showcase the history and testimony of the LGBTQ+ community. One portrays the exclusion that gay people still face in the workplace while the other honors a particular form of queer culture. Also, there are some monstrous film options and more. Here’s a closer look at what’s on television.
PICK OF THE DAY:
“The Lavender Scare” (PBS) at 9:00 PM EDT
Based on the novel by David K. Johnson, “The Lavender Scare” reveals a hidden form of discrimination towards the LGBTQ+ community. During his presidency, Dwight Eisenhower viewed gay people as unfit for the federal workforce. As a result of his stigmatization, thousands of gay workers were fired, harassed, and threatened with exposure. However, this prejudice also ignited the fight for justice and gay rights. Oscar nominee Glenn Close narrates this hour long special.
“Wig” (HBO) at 10:00 PM EDT
To keep up with the theme of documentaries about the queer experience, “Wig” premieres tonight on HBO. The documentary takes a look at Wigstock, a former drag festival that lasted for nearly 20 years and signaled the end of the summer for the gay community in New York City. This past summer, the festival was revived with famous and new drag queens taking part. Drag art has become a popular element in mainstream gay culture. For anyone interested in its origins, “Wig” could be a fascinating watch.
“Good Trouble” (Freeform) at 8:00 PM EDT
“Good Trouble” is ready for more chaos as it returns for its second season. This spinoff of the series “The Fosters” follows siblings Callie (Maia Mitchell) and Mariana (Cierra Ramirez) as they move to Los Angeles to begin their lives as professional young adults. Although “The Fosters” was cancelled after five seasons, this show allows fans of the original series to still follow the family’s journey.
MOVIES ON TV:
“Van Helsing” (MOMAX) at 9:00 PM EDT
Airing along with “Good Trouble” is a film with fantastical drama. The 2004 action film “Van Helsing” follows the titular hero (Hugh Jackman) as he fights three of cinema’s most famous creatures: Dracula, Frankenstein’s Monster, and the Wolf Man. Aiding him on his journey is the steely Anna Valerious (Kate Beckinsale).
For more monstrous fun, “Hotel Transylvania” will be on Freeform at 9:01 PM EDT and also serves as a more family friendly alternative. Much like “Van Helsing,” this animated film features the silver screen’s most iconic monsters. The plot follows Dracula (Adam Sandler) who runs a resort for monsters everywhere to hide from humanity. However, chaos ensues when a human (Andy Samberg) stumbles across the resort and falls for Dracula’s daughter (Selena Gomez).
In case monsters aren’t of interest, be sure to check out these eclectic options:
- “Deadpool 2” (HBO) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Legally Blonde” (E!) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “The Rainmaker (FLIXe) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” (SyFy) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Ocean’s Eleven” (IFC) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “The Proposal” (Encore) at 9:00 PM EDT
NEW TV EPISODES:
In case those programs aren’t of interest, be sure to check out new episodes of these shows:
- “America’s Got Talent” (NBC) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “The First 48: Teens of the Edge” (A&E) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Anderson Cooper 360” (CNN) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Sydney to the Max” (Disney) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Deadliest Catch: On Deck” (Discovery) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “The Curse of Civil War Gold: Digging Deeper” (History) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Dance Moms” (Lifetime) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “The 100” (The CW) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Lone Star Law: Bigger and Better” (Animal Planet) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Holmes Make It Right” (DiY) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Chopped” (Food Network) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Diabolical” (ID) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “The Haves and the Have Nots” (OWN) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Outdaughtered” (TLC) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Animal Kingdom” (TNT) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Blood & Treasure” (CBS) at 10:00 PM EDT
- “Drunk History” (Comedy Central) at 10:00 PM EDT
- “House Hunters” (HGTV) at 10:00 PM EDT
- “Songland” (NBC) at 10:01 PM EDT
What do you plan on watching tonight? Please share your thoughts in the comments section!
CHECK OUT ALL THE OFFICIAL PREDICTIONS ON THE CIRCUIT HUB AND MAKE YOUR OWN!