UPDATE: Sources have confirmed additional information on the matter. io9 reached out to Sony and reported this:
When contacted by io9, a Sony representative said it’s their belief this dispute is simply over a producer credit and negotiations are ongoing. They further clarified that Feige has contributed to other Spider-centric movies that he did not receive a producer credit on. Other sources tell us the Deadline story is completely accurate.
Sony Pictures released an official comment later Tuesday night via their Twitter:
Much of today’s news about Spider-Man has mischaracterized recent discussions about Kevin Feige’s involvement in the franchise. We are disappointed, but respect Disney’s decision not to have him continue as a lead producer of our next live action Spider-Man film.
We hope this might change in the future, but understand that the many new responsibilities that Disney has given him – including all their newly added Marvel properties – do not allow time for him to work on IP they do not own.
Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue.
Our original published article is below.
As reported exclusively by Deadline, it appears Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige will not be returning to produce anymore Spider-Man films. The news comes from a disagreement following Disney and Sony Pictures not coming to unanimous terms on the what could have been a co-financing stake for Feige. The source reports the disagreement has been brewing itself for the past couple of months and has now clipped Feige and developments for the Spider-Man character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
From the Deadline exclusive:
There is a lot of webbing here, but it all comes down to money, and it’s easy to understand why both sides refused to give ground. Disney asked that future Spider-Man films be a 50/50 co-financing arrangement between the studios, and there were discussions that this might extend to other films in the Spider-Man universe. Sony turned that offer down flat, and I don’t believe they even came back to the table to figure out a compromise.
Led by Tom Rothman and Tony Vinciquerra, Sony just simply didn’t want to share its biggest franchise. Sony proposed keeping the arrangement going under the current terms where Marvel receives in the range of 5% of first dollar gross, sources said. Disney refused.
Sources said Disney’s top brass for the past several months has sought new terms for Feige and the Marvel cross-pollination to continue. As the Spider-Man relationship grew, Feige and Sony Pictures chief Tom Rothman spoke about the possibility of a wider involvement in the Sony-controlled Spider-man universe, which contains 900 characters. I’m told that Feige lent an unofficial hand with the blockbuster Venom, but I’ve also been told that that film was far from the polished product that grossed $856 million worldwide, until Rothman himself spent a good long time in the editing room helping to get it there.
The news is breaking not too long after Marvel and Sony Pictures’ “Spider-Man: Far From Home” has surpassed box office records to become Sony’s highest grossing film, surpassing the place of “Skyfall.” Feige produced the record-breaking “Avengers: Endgame,” the spectacle that landed the spot as the highest grossing film of all time worldwide. Feige also produced box office hit “Captain Marvel.”
Earlier this year at San Diego Comic-Con, Feige and a slew of MCU cast members appeared on stage as the epic panel rang in the celebration of announcement of Phase Four. New titles include the string of Disney+ streaming series that invlude “Falcon and the Winter Soldier,” “Loki,” “Wanda Vision,” “Hawkeye,” “What If..?,” and films that topped the convention with “Thor: Love and Thunder,” The Eternals,” “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,” “Black Widow,” “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings,” and “Blade.”
There are still two more Spider-Man films on the table with “Far From Home” director Jon Watts and lead Tom Holland returning. As it stands, Feige will have no bearing on the productions moving forward. The story is still developing as no further comments have been released from Marvel/Disney, Feige or Sony Pictures.