Showtime comes up big this Sunday, with one of their larger successes launching their fifth season tonight, leading into a new show that has already caught the attention of many critics. Meanwhile, we say goodbye to a short-lived network procedural and tune in as an under-appreciated comic gem airs on TV tonight. Read on for more.
PICK OF THE DAY:
“On Becoming a God in Central Florida” (Showtime) at 10:00 PM ET
One of the greatest crimes in Hollywood is the consistent undervaluation of Kirsten Dunst and her gifts as an actor. “On Becoming a God in Central Florida,” a new dark comedy from Showtime, hopes to remedy that. Dunst stars as a minimum-wage water park employee in Florida who manipulates her way through a massive pyramid scheme in a satirical interpretation of the bleaker side of the American dream. The battle between unrestrained capitalism and Kirsten Dunst is one for the ages.
“The Affair” (Showtime) at 9:00 PM ET
Tonight sees the premiere of the fifth and final season of “The Affair.” The intimate drama about the fall-out from two separate affairs has always succeeded in tapping into the rich emotional lives of its lead characters, powerfully portrayed by Dominic West, Joshua Jackson, Ruth Wilson, and Maura Tierney. And while each of the prior finales has felt as though it would be a satisfying conclusion to the show, the creators have already announced that this season will be the last, so they have time to end things with the appropriate sense of finality.
“Instinct” (CBS) at 9:00 PM ET
Last week, “Instinct” showrunner Michael Rauch announced that the police procedural had been cancelled and would not be returning for a third season. So its season finale airing tonight will be the show’s last. “Instinct” had an excellent cast and an intriguing premise, but never managed to connect with audiences in a way that translated into viewership. Still, we’ll miss seeing the consistent talent Alan Cumming on television every week.
MOVIES ON TV:
“Game Night” (Encore) at 9:30 PM ET
One of the most underrated comedies of the last few years, “Game Night” is the perfect movie for a lazy Sunday night at home. It stars Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams (in one of her strongest comedic performances) as a highly competitive couple who get caught up in a dangerous game night with increasingly high stakes. With an incredible supporting cast and a career-defining performance from rising star Jesse Plemons, “Game Night” is a must-watch.
NEW TV EPISODES:
Still looking for something more your speed? Check out below what else will be on television tonight.
- “Killer Motive” (Oxygen) at 7:00 PM EDT
- “Kingdom of the White Wolf” (Nat Geo WILD) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Power” (Starz) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Big Brother” (CBS) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Celebrity Family Feud” (ABC) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “The Shawshank Redemption” (BBC America) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “The $100,000 Pyramid” (ABC) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Fear the Walking Dead” (AMC) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “North Woods Law” (Animal Planet) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Worst Cooks in America” (Food Network) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Succession” (HBO) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Caribbean Life” (HGTV) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Wicked Tuna: Outer Banks” (Nat Geo) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Paranormal Survivor” (Travel) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “To Tell the Truth” (ABC) at 10:00 PM EDT
- “Preacher” (AMC) at 10:00 PM EDT
- “The Righteous Gemstones” (HBO) at 10:00 PM EDT
- “Gordon Ramsay: Uncharted” (Nat Geo) at 10:00 PM EDT
- “Bar Rescue” (Paramount) at 10:00 PM EDT
- “Ballers” (HBO) at 10:30 PM EDT