(SEPTEMBER 18 – SEPTEMBER 20, 2015)
- Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials (Opening) – $30,300,000
- Black Mass (Opening) – $23,360,000
- The Visit (Week 2) – $11,350,00
- The Perfect Day (Week 2) – $9,640,000
- Everest (Opening) – $7,560,000
- War Room (Week 4) – $6,250,000
- A Walk in the Woods (Week 3) – $2,732,730
- Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation (Week 8) – $2,250,000
- Straight Outta Compton (Week 6) – $1,970,000
- Grandma (Week 5) – $1,595,820
- Maze Runner: Scorch Trails hits slightly less than its predecessor which earned $32.5M on its opening weekend, but not that bad of a slip. These franchises tend to hope to do significantly better than the last though.
- Black Mass has a solid opening for a non-blockbuster Johnny Depp, comparable to Public Enemies‘ $25M opening, of which eventually petered out to $97M total. While Depp has gotten stellar reviews, he doesn’t elevate the film. It might not have the legs he needs to propel him to a prospective Oscar nod. It’s still on the cards but he’s an outlier now.
- The Visit drops 55.4% earning $42M domestic so far, meanwhile…
- …The Perfect Guy drops 62.8%, earning $41M domestic so far. Still, it’s at 1,000 less theaters than Shyamalan’s horror so not too shabby.
- Everest debuts exclusively in IMAX, i.e. 545 theaters, earning the best theater average of the lot with $13.8k compared to the top 2’s $7k. No doubt 3D helped. Universal is just having the best year.
- War Room continues to shrink minutely, down 19.6% from last week. It’s earned $49M domestically so far.
- A Walk In The Woods strolls to $24M total so far.
- Rogue Nation is still holding onto the top 10 with a Tom Cruise-like grip, earning $191M total so far. It’s still $18M away from Ghost Protocol.
- Straight Outta Compton continues its bittersweet descent but while its theater count drops, the average stays modest at $1k. It’s earned $158M so far. Even with the gross adjusted, it’s easily F. Gary Gray’s highest grossing film.
- Hey Grandma. After lingering in the pits of limited screenings, it’s gotten a wide release. With that boost, it’s close to grossing $4M total.
- In other news, Grandma actually beat new release Captive, starring Kate Mara and David Oyelowo, though that had less theaters and a better average. It earned $1.4M this weekend.
- Sicario has a stunning limited release, earning $390k in just 6 theaters, that puts its average at $65k.
- Pawn Sacrifice has a modest start in limited release, earning $206k in 33 theaters which puts its average at $6k, around what the top 2 were doing.
- Jurassic World then? That train is nearly pulling to a stop. It’s nearly at $650M, but last week I said it was nearly at $649M. 8 weeks to go until it beats Titanic? Unlikely. But, you never know…