The 5 Most Overrated Films of 2013 so far
1. To the Wonder– I still don’t see how anyone could actually love this Malick film. Taste is subjective, but even someone not big on Malick like me can see that he’s simply done so much better than this in the past.
2. Upstream Color– As much as one can admire Carruth’s work here, is a fan really being honest with himself? How many people just say they “get” it as opposed to really understanding it? Moreover, is there much to actually understand here? The movie is certainly interesting, but I still don’t think it’s that good…
3. Stoker– Overly stylized to a fault, this is a decent flick that should have been better. Directorial flourishes overshadow a quirky little thriller. It’s not hard to like parts of the movie, but the whole package? That’s a harder sell.
4. Trance– Danny Boyle is better than this, frankly. B movie material in the hands of an A list talent is still a B movie. You can put lipstick on a pig…
5. Room 237– A glorified college thesis that gives possible nut cases a forum for their ideas, I think this documentary could inspire other and better flicks of this nature, but on its own terms? I’m not much of a fan.
The Most Surprising Film of 2013 so far: World War Z
The Most Disappointing Film of 2013 so far: To the Wonder
The Weirdest Film of 2013 so far: A tie between Only God Forgives and Upstream Color