Giving an Oscar Predictions update to most of the categories, this race is finally starting to take some shape. Nearly every category has been updated as you can see and the rest of the staff weighed in on their own thoughts on their predictions page.
General observations and thoughts include:
- Saving Mr. Banks is beginning to build some steam. Assuming that AMPAS will step out of their normal routine with either 12 Years a Slave and Gravity, those two are the top contenders. If they don’t, Saving Mr. Banks looks like something they would move towards.
- Original Screenplay has become such a question mark and Adapted Screenplay is the saddest category of the Oscars this year.
- Foreign Language Film has become extremely competitive. Lots of countries are in the mix, and they’ve played on the festival circuit all year. The Past is probably the top choice given its high-profile but something like The Hunt, Wadjda, or Child’s Pose could sneak in and steal.
- The Cinematography category has potential to be the best lineup since 2007. Roger Deakins, Sean Bobbit, and Emmanuel Lubeski are in the mix with great work by Anthony Dod Mantle and Phedon Papamichael waiting in the wings for key notices.
- Could summer blockbusters Man of Steel, Elysium, and Pacific Rim be headed for a shut out?
Check out all the updates with the menu above or click here.