Today, viewers can reach for the stars with “The Mandalorian,” which streams on the newly formed Disney+. Meanwhile, an hour-long special on one country’s most successful singers airs along with “Logan” and “Mad Max: Fury Road,” two Oscar-nominated blockbusters. What a lovely day indeed!
PICK OF THE DAY:
“The Mandalorian” on Disney+
Today, the Disney+ streaming service finally launches with a sea of options to choose from. And today’s pick is “The Mandalorian,” the newest “Star Wars” series. Taking place between the fall of the Empire and the rise of the First Order, “The Mandalorian” follows the titular character (played by Pedro Pascal) as he travels to the furthest regions of the galaxy. Surely, this should give “Star Wars” fans their fix until the release of “The Rise of Skywalker.”
“Dolly Parton: Here She Comes Again!” (ABC) at 10:00 PM EDT
After working nine to five, be sure to check out “Dolly Parton: Here She Comes Again!,” a TV special on the “9 to 5” singer. For this special, Robin Roberts interviews Dolly Parton about her career which spans six decades. Other famous country artists also discuss her influence on their work. “Dolly Parton: Here She Comes Again!” also serves as a prelude to the Country Music Awards tomorrow night where Parton will guest host.
MOVIES ON TV
“Logan” (FX) at 7:30 PM EDT
In case you’re still in a blockbuster mood, “Logan” is a worthy watch. Based on the “Old Man Logan” storyline from the “X-Men” comics, “Logan” takes place in a future where mutants are nearly extinct. An aging James “Logan” Howlett (Hugh Jackman) lives as a recluse. His solitude comes to a halt when he starts protecting a mutant child (Dafne Keen) on the run from the government. Imbued with gravitas, “Logan” is an effective character study and a successful farewell from Jackman after playing Wolverine for 17 years. Plus, it became the first superhero film to earn an Oscar nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay.
“Mad Max: Fury Road” (SYFY) at 8:00 PM EDT
Oscar season is taking shape with Charlize Theron earning Best Actress buzz for “Bombshell” where she plays Megyn Kelly. But tonight, viewers can watch a previous Charlize Theron starrer that became a more unexpected Oscar contender. Despite it being a summer blockbuster sequel, “Mad Max: Fury Road” overcame that triple whammy to become a Best Picture nominee. It also took home six Academy Awards including Best Film Editing and Best Costume Design. Theron didn’t earn a Best Actress nomination, yet she still brought an instantly iconic heroine to life.
NEW EPISODES ON TV:
In case those programs aren’t of interest, check out these new television episodes.
- “NCIS” (CBS) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “The Conners” (ABC) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “The Voice” (NBC) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “The Resident” (FOX) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “The Flash” (The CW) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “The Real Housewives of Orange County” (Bravo) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Bless This Mess” (ABC) at 8:30 PM EDT
- “FBI” (CBS) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “mixed-Ish” (ABC) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “This is Us” (NBC) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Empire” (FOX) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Shark Tank” (CNBC) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Fixer to Fabulous” (HGTV) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “The Rachel Maddow Show” (MSNBC) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “black-ish” (ABC) at 9:30 PM EDT
- “NCIS: New Orleans” (CBS) at 10:00 PM EDT
- “Emergence” (ABC) at 10:00 PM EDT
- “New Amsterdam” (NBC) at 10:00 PM EDT
- “Mayans M.C.” (FX) at 10:00 PM EDT
- “Greenleaf” (OWN) at 10:00 PM EDT
- “Ink Master Grudge Match” (Spike) at 10:00 PM EDT
- “Tosh.0” (Comedy Central) at 10:30 PM EDT