While January is typically considered to be a pretty lackluster month for new movies in the theaters, that’s not the case for television. Several excellent films, both recent and classic, are airing tonight if you opt to stay in, as well as new episodes of ABC, NBC and CW series.
Pick of the Day:
“Bad Boys” (USA) at 8:30 p.m. ET
“Bad Boys For Life,” the third installment in this lovable hit buddy-cop series, just hit theaters today. Before seeing it, check out where the story began with this 1995 action-comedy from Michael Bay in his feature directorial debut. Will Smith and Martin Lawrence bring their usual charm and talents as Miami detectives and friends Marcus Burnett and Mike Lowrey on a hunt to recover seized drugs stolen under the police department’s nose.
Movies on TV
“Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?” (TCM) at 9:45 p.m. ET
If one of your New Year’s resolutions is to watch more classic films, there’s no better place to start than with this masterpiece. Adapted from the hit Broadway play of the same name and directed by Mike Nichols, this is a brutal examination of a damaged relationship. Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, George Segal, and Sandy Dennis deliver incredible and devastating performances as two couples who continually lose their inhibitions and tempers over the course of one night. It’s a must-watch for fans of Old Hollywood, as well as those typically averse to older white and black films.
“Long Shot” (HBO) at 7:50 p.m. ET
This romantic comedy from director Jonathan Levine was one of 2019’s best surprises. Charlize Theron and Seth Rogen share the screen, and loads of chemistry, in “Long Shot” as former childhood neighbors who reconnect years later when Charlotte (Theron) runs for president and brings on Fred (Rogen) as a speech writer. It’s laugh out loud funny, genuinely sweet and features terrific performances from both leads.
OTHER MOVIES ON TV:
- “Furious 7” (FX) at 7 p.m. ET
- “Red 2” (TBS) at 7 p.m. ET
- “The Hangover” (MTV) at 7:30 p.m. ET
- “Speed” (CMT) at 7:30 p.m. ET
- “The Hunger Games” (AMC) at 8 p.m.
- “The Legend of Tarzan” (TNT) at 8 p.m. ET
- “Good Deeds” (VH1) at 8 p.m. ET
- “Grown Ups” (Paramount) at 8 p.m. ET
- “Star Trek” (Syfy) at 9 p.m. ET
- “Guardians of the Galaxy” (TBS) at 9:30 p.m. ET
- “Top Gun” (CMT) at 10 p.m. ET
Catch up with these new episodes also airing tonight:
- “House Hunters International” (HGTV) at 7 p.m. ET
- “House Hunters” (HGTV) at 7 p.m. ET
- “American Housewife” (ABC) at 8 p.m. ET
- “America’s Most Musical Family” (Nick) at 8 p.m. ET
- “Charmed” (CW) at 8 p.m. ET
- “Lincoln Rhyme: Bone Collector” (NBC) at 8 p.m. ET
- “Kindred Spirits” (Travel) at 8 p.m. ET
- “Bunk’d” (Disney) at 8 p.m. ET
- “Gabby Duran & The Unsittables” (Disney) at 8:24 p.m. ET
- “Fresh Off the Boat” (ABC) at 8:30 p.m. ET
- “Dynasty” (CW) at 9 p.m. ET
- “Hopelessly in Love” (Lifetime) at 9 p.m. ET
- “My Lottery Dream Home” (HGTV) at 9 p.m. ET
- “My Feet Are Killing Me” (TLC) at 9 p.m. ET
- “My 600-lb Life” (TLC) at 10 pm. ET
- “Ghost Loop” (Travel) at 10 p.m. ET