Friday’s TV schedule provides something for the whole family and a heavy dose of nostalgia. Between a new Netflix show inspired by a classic fantasy film and the first adventure of everyone’s favorite archeologist, there are plenty of entertaining options to watch. So, get ready to conjure up some magic and pull out that bullwhip, tonight’s selections can be found in the comfort of your own home.
Pick of the Day:
“The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance” (Netflix)
Set as a prequel to Jim Henson’s beloved 1982 film, Netflix’s “The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance” finds audiences going on a quest to discover the hidden secrets that surround the world of Thra. Viewers will follow Rain (Taron Egerton), Brea (Anya Taylor-Joy) and Deet (Nathalie Emmanuel) as they lead a rebellion to save Thra from the Emperor (Jason Isaacs) and the evil Skeksis. The project went through a long development period before Netflix finally let this story be told.
The series will introduce new characters as well as explore the culture that was not fully examined in the original film. An A-list cast was brought on to bring this world to life, which includes Simon Pegg, Awkwafina, Keegan-Michael Key, Andy Samberg, Lena Headey, Helena Bonham Carter, Mark Hamill and many more. Besides the cast, we will also see the return of the amazing puppeteer work that gave the original it’s distinctive style. All the elements are right for this to be not just something special for “Dark Cyrstal” fans but for new audiences seeing this world for the first time.
Movies on TV:
“Raiders of the Lost Ark” (Paramount) at 10:00 PM ET
If you decide to take a break from binge-watching “The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance,” then you can turn on one of Steven Spielberg’s best films. Set in 1936, “Raiders of the Lost Ark” follows Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford), an archeologist tasked by the United States government to find the ark of the covenant before Hitler and the Nazis get their hands on it. Indy partners with Marion Ravenwood (Karen Allen), an old flame that has an artifact that can be useful in finding the ark. Through adventures in Nepal, Egypt and an island off the coast of the Aegean Sea, Indy and Marion encounter not only Nazis but poisonous snakes, a double-crossing monkey, and some dangerous dry fruit.
“Raiders of the Lost Ark” solidified Ford a bonafide star. The film is ranked 60 on AFI’s top 100 films of all time and earned nine Oscars nominations including Best Picture in 1982. The movie is so good, it might just inspire you to watch it’s three sequels and turn your weekend into an Indiana Jones marathon.
Other Movies on TV:
- “The Parent Trap” (Freeform) at 6:00 PM ET
- “Lethal Weapon 2” (AMC) at 7:00 PM ET
- “White House Down” (Paramount) at 7:00 PM ET
- “The Heat” (FXM) at 7:40 PM ET
- “Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix” (USA) at 7:30 PM ET
- “Doctor Strange” (TNT) at 7:30 PM ET
- “Star Wars: The Phantom Menace” (TBS) at 8:00 PM ET
- “X-Men: Apocalypse” (FX) at 8:00 PM ET
- “The Shawshank Redemption” (BBC) at 8:00 PM ET
- “I’ll Cry Tomorrow” (TCM) at 8:00 PM ET
- “Two Week Notice” (Lifetime) at 8:00 PM ET
- “Hitsville: The Making of Motown” (Showtime) at 8:50 PM ET
- “Enemy of the State” (Viceland) at 9:00 PM ET
- “Due Date” (Cinemax) at 9:45 PM ET
- “Grosse Pointe Blank” (HBO Zone) at 10:00 PM ET
- “The Old Man & the Gun” (HBO Signature) at 11:15 PM ET
New Episodes on TV:
Below are the new episodes airing tonight:
- “Ridiculousness” (MTV) at 8:00 p.m. ET
- “How Do Animals Do That” (Animal Planet) at 8:00 p.m. ET
- “Ancient Aliens: Declassified” (History) at 8:00 p.m. ET
- “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives” (Food Network) at 9:00 p.m ET
- “Killjoys” (Syfy) at 10:00 PM ET
- “Mysteries of the Abandoned” (Discovery) at 10:02 p.m. ET
- “House Hunters” (HGTV) at 10:00 PM ET
- “Real Time with Bill Maher” (HBO) at 10:00 PM ET
- “All Elite Wrestling: All Out” (TNT) at 10:00 PM ET
- “Masters of Illusion” (The CW) at 10:00 PM ET
- “The Big Stage” (The CW) at 10:30 p.m. ET