Tonight showcases “The Two Popes,” the final Netflix project in contention for in the current Oscar race. Along with their newest fantasy series, and some of your favorite existing television series and classic movies, schedule Friday night’s plans at home.
Pick of the Day:
“The Two Popes” (Netflix)
From director Fernando Meirelles and screenwriter Andrew McCarten, comes a drama about two men trying to find common ground for the sake of the Catholic Church. Based on McCarten’s stage play, “The Two Popes” examines imaginary conversations between Pope Benedict (Anthony Hopkins) and his rival and successor, Pope Francis (Jonathan Pryce). Strapped with juicy dialogue and two magnificent performances, this sparring match of religious ideals turns not just into a discussion about the Church, but about the future for all of humanity. A crowd pleasure from the moment it premiered at the Telluride Film Festival, “The Two Popes” should play well with the Academy in many categories. In other words, watch it as soon as you can.
New on TV:
“The Witcher” (Netflix)
Since “Game of Thrones” ended earlier this year, many studios will attempt to capture their version of a world expanding, fantasy show. So, with Netflix’s “The Witcher,” the essential streaming service looks to find the magic HBO found with their massive hit. “The Witcher” follows Geralt of Rivia (Henry Cavill), a monster hunter who struggles to find a place in his world. But, when misfortunes and dangers land him with people who need help, he learns what must be done in order to protect them. Based on a series of Polish fantasy novels, the series looks to be an action-packed adventure with enough world-building to make viewers satisfied. If for anything, you can watch for Cavill, who seems to be fully committed to not only the character but the overall endeavor.
Other Movies on TV:
- “Top Gun” (Paramount) at 7:30 PM ET
- “The Revenant” (FXM) at 7:35 PM ET
- “Elf” (AMC) at 8:00 PM ET
- “The Last Witch Hunter” (Syfy) at 8:00 PM ET
- “Zorba The Greek” (TCM) at 8:00 PM ET
- “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” (HBO) at 8:15 PM ET
- “A Christmas Story” (TBS) at 9:00 PM ET
- “The Devil Wears Prada” (E!) at 9:00 PM ET
- “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” (AMC) at 10:00 PM ET
New Episodes on TV:
Below are the new episodes airing tonight:
- “Friday Night Smackdown” (FOX) at 8:00 p.m. ET
- “Ridiculousness” (MTV) at 8:00 p.m. ET
- “Gold Rush: Pay Dirt” (Discovery) at 8:00 p.m. ET
- “Gold Rush” (Discovery) at 9:00 p.m. ET
- “Van Helsing” (Syfy) at 10:00 PM ET
- “House Hunters International” (HGTV) at 10:30 PM ET
What will you be watching tonight? Let us know in the comments below.