Another Friday, another set of streaming premieres. Netflix and Amazon Prime have multiple new shows and movies that drop today. On top of that, there’s a litany of new episodes of your favorite Friday shows on the major network and cable stations. Don’t go out tonight. Stay in and watch one of these fresh picks.
PICK OF THE DAY
“After Life” (Netflix)
No matter how many celebrities he roasts at the Golden Globes, Ricky Gervais seems to always come back. His latest show, “After Life,” premieres all six episodes on Netflix today. Gervais stars as Tony, a man with a seemingly perfect life that gets thrown for a loop when his wife dies. Tony contemplates taking his own life. However, he sticks around to punish the world by saying and doing whatever he wants. While Tony considers this his super power, those closest to him fight to save the nice guy they used to know. It’s always fun to see Ricky Gervais unleash his brand of biting humor. Let’s hope “After Life” finds the heart behind the barbs as well.
“Costume Quest” (Amazon Prime)
Based on the Double Fine Productions game of the same name, “Costume Quest” finally makes its way to Amazon Prime today after four years of development. The show takes place in Auburn Hollow, a town that has been overrun by monsters for 10 years. Who can save the day? Our team of four trick-or-treaters – Wren, Reynold, Everett and Lucy – get in touch with their magical powers, derived from their homemade costumes, to save their town. Will these kids be able to take Halloween back? Tune in to find out.
It’s time to return back to the cold drama of Canada. “Tin Star” returns to Amazon with its nine episode season two. The show finds city detective Jim Worth (Tim Roth) reassigned to a sleepy Canadian town. What at first seems like a more chill (pun intended) job heats up when Worth’s past comes back to haunt him. The British-Canadian show premiered season two earlier this year on Sky Atlantic. However, it’s now available to U.S. audiences on Amazon Prime.
Do you believe in love after lockup? WE’s “Love After Lockup” finishes its second season with a 2-hour finale at 9 p.m. ET. The show follows relationships that began when one person was spending time in jail. Will the relationships be able to adjust once both partners are out of prison and living together? Season 2 added four new couples as they made their way from jail cells to a wedding altar.
MOVIES ON TV
Is there anyone greater than Alfre Woodard. The actress has appeared in countless great movies, but never seems to get the acclaim she deserves. However, it looks like this is changing in 2019. Later we will see her make an Oscar push for her drama “Clemency,” which won raves at Sundance. But now, she headlines the latest Netflix movie, “Juanita,” which premieres today. Woodard plays the titular role. Juanita hops on a greyhound bus to Montana with reinvention in sight. She leaves her grown kids behind and hopes to find a new life and a new version of herself through this journey. The movie, directed by Clark Johnson, is based on the novel “Dancing on the Edge of the Roof” by Sheila Williams.
Two other very specific, yet different, genre pieces also premiere tonight. Also dropping on Netflix is “Walk. Ride. Rodeo,” a faith-based inspirational drama. Amberley Snyder (Spender Locke) balances her burgeoning pro rodeo career with her quest to obtain a college scholarship. However, a devastating accident keeps her from using her legs. Yet, Amberley uses her spunk and determination to continue to go after her dreams, trying out competitive barrel racing. For those looking for cheap thrills over sentimentality, Lifetime Movies has you covered. “Sins & Seduction,” which starts at 8 p.m. ET, sets its drama in the world of a progressive church. A pastor’s boyfriend grows concerned that the new parishioner she’s counseling has sinister intentions. As strange things start happening around the church, it becomes undeniable this disturbed parishioner is up to something.
Not able to find what you’re looking for in the new shows and movies above? Take a look at all the shows airing new episodes tonight.
- “Fresh Off the Boat” (ABC) at 8 p.m. ET
- “Speechless” (ABC) at 8:30 p.m. ET
- “20/20” (ABC) at 9 p.m. ET
- “MacGyver” (CBS) at 8 p.m. ET
- “Hawaii Five-O” (CBS) at 9 p.m. ET
- “Blue Bloods” (CBS) at 10 p.m. ET
- “Blindspot” (NBC) at 8 p.m. ET
- “The Blacklist” (NBC) at 9 p.m. ET
- “Last Man Standing” (FOX) at 8 p.m. ET
- “The Cool Kids” (FOX) at 8:30 p.m. ET
- “Proven Innocent” (FOX) at 9 p.m. ET
- “Strike Back: Revolution” (Cinemax) at 10 p.m. ET
- “American Masters” (PBS) at 9 p.m. ET
- “Live PD: Rewind” (A&E) at 8 p.m. ET
- “Live PD” (A&E) at 9 p.m. ET
- “Animal Cribs” (Animal Planet) at 9 p.m. ET
- “Don’t Be Tardy…” (Bravo) at 9 p.m. ET
- “Gold Rush: Pay Dirt” (Discovery) at 8 p.m. ET
- “Gold Rush” (Discovery) at 9 p.m. ET
- “Sydney to the Max” (Disney Channel) at 8:30 p.m. ET
- “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives” (Food Network) at 9 p.m. ET
- “America Says” (GSN) at 9 p.m. ET
- “My Lottery Dream Home” (HGTV) at 9 p.m. ET
- “The Final Scream” (ID) at 9 p.m. ET
- “Secrets of the Morgue” (ID) at 10 p.m. ET
- “Nick Cannon Presents: Wild ’n Out” (MTV) at 8 p.m., 8:30 p.m. ET
- “Dateline: Secrets Uncovered” (Oxygen) at 7 p.m. ET
- “Mysteries of the Abandoned” (Science) at 8, 9 & 10 p.m. ET
- “Praise” (TBN) at 8 p.m. ET
- “The Watchman with Erick Stakelbeck” (TBN) at 10:30 p.m. ET
- “Dr. Pimple Popper” (TLC) at 8 p.m. ET
- “Ghost Adventures” (Travel Channel) at 9 p.m. ET