It seems everywhere you turn, pop culture is leaning into the hero trend, and one of the best places to find those stories is Monday night’s TV lineup. There’s a new series devoted to real-life paramedics that help save lives while the same night features supernatural beings saving the day fighting demons of the night. There’s even a particular anti-hero worth rooting for despite having the most wild intentions.
There are heroes of all kinds featured in these stories and more. Be sure to take a look at what’s airing tonight.
PICK OF THE DAY:
“Hellboy” (SyFy) at 8:30 PM EST
The new “Hellboy” reboot may have gone up in flames last weekend. But fear not because you can go back and revisit the original. The 2004 version, which stars Ron Perlman as the cigar-smoking demon, is a splendid demonstration of Guillermo del Toro’s idiosyncratic fantasy vision. It also shows that any franchise started by Guillermo Del Toro probably requires the director to helm the films in the series. “Pacific Rim: Uprising” is certainly more definitive proof of that.
“Live Rescue” (A&E) at 9 PM EST
The docuseries “Live PD” gives viewers a live look at the police force. In addition, its popularity has led to the creation of “Live Rescue,” a spinoff series. Hosted by journalist Ashleigh Banfield, “Live Rescue” follows paramedics across the country as they answer emergency calls. Much like “Live PD,” it’s a look at lifesavers who put their own lives on the line. Television may be used for escapism however, if you’re a documentary buff, this might be of interest.
MOVIES ON TV:
“Bad Teacher” (E!) at 9 PM EST
As the film’s tagline suggests, some teachers just don’t give an F. Elizabeth Halsey is certainly one of them. Not to mention, her honesty can be pretty brutal. But Cameron Diaz still makes this comedic anti-heroine worth watching. Not too long before her supposed retirement, Cameron Diaz gave audiences a reminder of her genius comical timing. The film itself may not be a masterpiece but she still makes it worth watching. Also, she and Phyllis Smith, who plays a fellow teacher, are a terrific pairing.
“The Lion King” (Freeform) at 9 PM EST
Before the upcoming remake is released, the original animated version of “The Lion King” will air. Whether you’re waiting in anticipation for the “live action” adaptation or skeptical about it, you can go back and revisit this one. However, if you haven’t seen it, then you’ll be introduced to a timeless classic. Plus, the film is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year, which is just another incentive to check it out.
NEW TV EPISODES:
In case these programs don’t pique your interest, you can always watch new episodes of these shows.
- “The Neighborhood” (CBS) at 8:00 PM EST
- “American Idol” (ABC) at 8:00 PM EST
- “The Voice” (NBC) at 8:00 PM EST
- “The Resident” (FOX) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Legends of Tomorrow” (The CW) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Live PD” (A&E) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Street Outlaws: Full Throttle” (Discovery) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Shadowhunters” (Freeform) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Man With a Plan” (CBS) at 8:30 PM EST
- “The Code” (CBS) at 9:00 PM EST
- “9-1-1” (FOX) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Arrow” (The CW) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Street Outlaws” (Discovery) at 9:00 PM EST
- “The Fix” (ABC) at 10:00 PM EST
- “The Enemy Within” (NBC) at 10:00 PM EST
- “Into the Badlands” (AMC) at 10:00 PM EST
- “Knightfall” (History) at 10:00 PM EST
- “Betrayed” (ID) at 10:00 PM EST