Today’s lineup features one of the biggest awards ceremonies in the entertainment industry, the exciting conclusion of the two-part premiere of “Doctor Who,” and much more!
PICK OF THE DAY:
“Doctor Who” (BBC America) at 8:00 PM EST
Season 12 of “Doctor Who” began on New Year’s Day with one of the series famed two-parters, the second half of which is airing tonight. With Jodie Whitaker now in her second season as the Doctor and a whole gaggle of companions along for the ride, the show feels ready to jump right into the action. As an old foe making an unexpected appearance, the Doctor is once again put in quite a sticky spot. Tune in this week to see how she gets out of it!
LIVE TV EVENT:
“The 77th Annual Golden Globe Awards” (NBC) at 8:00 PM EST
The Golden Globes are on live tonight, celebrating the best of film and television from 2019. Although these awards are only voted on by the relatively small Hollywood Foreign Press Association, the Golden Globes traditionally serve as one of the first major awards shows of the season and have implications for a film’s Oscar potential. The Globes aren’t necessarily predictive, but a good showing here can give a film a much-needed boost when it comes to Oscar voting. This year’s award ceremony will be hosted by Ricky Gervais, returning for what will be his third time.
MOVIES ON TV:
“Tolkien” (HBO) at 8:00 PM EST
J.R.R. Tolkien is a remarkably fascinating literary figure, and despite the fact that “Tolkien” is a hyper-traditional biopic with few surprises, it’s still an engaging watch. Nicholas Hoult shines in the lead role of Tolkien, an imaginative writer whose educational aspirations are put on hold by the outbreak of World War I in 1914. This depiction of the war and the influence it had on his writing is perhaps one of the film’s most interesting elements, especially for “Lord of the Rings” enthusiasts.
“E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial” (Syfy) at 6:30 PM EST
If the heartwarming ET reunion commercials from Xfinity that aired over the holidays have left you with a hankering to rewatch the original film, you’re in luck! “E.T. The Extra-Terrestial” stars Henry Thomas as Elliot, a young boy who befriends a mysterious but very cuddly alien. Of course, the US government wants to steal ET to perform experiments on him, so Elliot has to help him escape in one of the most exhilarating and iconic bike chases of all time.
NEW TV EPISODES:
Still looking for something else to watch? Check out more of tonight’s lineup below!
- “God Friended Me” (CBS) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Kids Say the Darndest Things” (ABC) at 8:00 PM EST
- “The Simpsons” (Fox) at 8:00 PM EST
- “The Real Housewives of Atlanta” (Bravo) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Ray Donovan” (Showtime) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Power” (Starz) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Family Guy” (Fox) at 8:30 PM EST
- “Shark Tank” (ABC) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Shameless” (Showtime) at 9:00 PM EST
- “NCIS: Los Angeles” (CBS) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Sister Wives” (TLC) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Mars: One Day on the Red Planet” (NGC) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Star Wars Resistance” (Disney) at 10:00 PM EST
- “Rehab Addict” (HGTV) at 10:00 PM EST
- “The L Word: Generation Q” (Showtime) at 10:00 PM EST
- “Dare Me” (USA) at 10:00 PM EST
- “Work in Progress” (Showtime) at 10:50 PM EST