The beginning of summer traditionally means that we get the new seasons of network game shows, as the kids are off from school and everyone’s happy to turn their brains off for a while. But this week, audiences will see the return of one of HBO’s biggest hits, what could be the last game of the Stanley Cup finals, and the biggest night in theater awards.
PICK OF THE DAY:
“Big Little Lies” (HBO) at 9:00 PM EDT
Tonight marks the premiere of the second season of “Big Little Lies,” an HBO show that found critical and popular success during its inaugural run in 2017. The decision to bring it back came as something of a surprise to fans, as it seemed poised to be a limited series, but its return is accompanied with great anticipation. Starring an A-list cast that includes Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon, Meryl Streep, Shailene Woodley, Alexander Skarsgård, and more, “Big Little Lies” revolves around a murder investigation in the privileged, picturesque Monterey, CA.
“Celebrity Family Feud” at 8:00 PM EDT, “The $100,000 Pyramid” at 9:00 PM EDT, “To Tell the Truth” at 10:00 PM EDT (ABC)
ABC brings back three popular game shows tonight. “Celebrity Family Feud” features Steve Harvey as host, bringing celebrities and their families in to compete against each other in the classic game. “The $100,000 Pyramid”, hosted by Michael Strahan, has contestants guessing words and phrases based on clues given to them by their partner. And finally, “To Tell the Truth” premieres this evening, where a panel of celebrities meet three contestants, are read a blurb about the main person’s unusual background, and then have to guess which one it applies to. They’re all a bit silly, but maybe that’s exactly what’s needed on a Sunday night.
LIVE TELEVISION EVENT:
“The 73rd Annual Tony Awards” (CBS) at 8:00 PM EDT
Theater nerds, rejoice: the Tony Awards are on tonight! Hosted by James Corden, this award show celebrates the best that Broadway has to offer, and hands out the most prestigious awards in the theatrical community. Each of the nominated musicals will give a live performance, which are always the highlights of the show. This year’s biggest contenders are “Hadestown” (14 nominations), “Ain’t Too Proud” (12 nominations), and “Tootsie” (11 nominations). The Tonys will also feature some Hollywood glamour, with actors like Adam Driver, Annette Bening, Jeff Daniels, and Bryan Cranston all receiving nominations for their performances this year.
NEW TV EPISODES:
Of course, those are just the highlights for tonight. There are plenty of other new episodes on the air this evening for you to check out!
- “Stanley Cup Playoff: Game 6 – Boston Bruins at St. Louis Blues” (NBC) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Luther” (BBC America) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Good Witch” (Hallmark) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Our Cartoon President” (Showtime) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “The Spanish Princess” (Starz) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “American Pickers” (History) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Lakefront Bargain Hunters” (HGTV) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Fear the Walking Dead” (AMC) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Keeping Up the Kardashians” (E!) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “The Great Food Truck Race” (Food) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Billions” (Showtime) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Vida” (Starz) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Claws” (TNT) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Southern Charm New Orleans” (Bravo) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Murder in the Heartland” (ID) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “NOS4A2” (AMC) at 10:00 PM EDT
- “The Chi” (Showtime) at 10:00 PM EDT
- “Last Week Tonight” (HBO) at 11:00 PM EDT