As the spring television season hits its stride, there are few new offerings on network television. Now we are seeing exciting original content both from streaming services and premium cable networks, in the form of animated shorts and reality adventure series.
PICK OF THE DAY:
“Sitara: Let Girls Dream” (Netflix)
One of the most exciting things about Netflix at the moment is the juggernaut streaming service’s willingness to embrace media that wouldn’t necessarily find a home elsewhere, whether that’s an experimental film about David Lynch interrogating a monkey or international projects you would never see on mainstream television. In the case of “Sitara: Let Girls Dream,” they’ve created space for a feminist animated short from Oscar-winning director Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy about a teenage girl in Pakistan who dreams of being a pilot. It addresses the issues of child marriage and encourages parents to support the aspirations of their daughters as well as their sons.
“Rob Riggle: Global Investigator” (Discovery) at 10:00 PM EST
On “Rob Riggle: Global Investigator,” the actor/comedian tackles historical mysteries from around the world with a dash of humor. The show seems to be part travelogue, part History Channel conspiracy theory show, part Legends of the Hidden Temple, and part funnyman finding an excuse to get paid to go on cool adventures in foreign countries. Rob Riggle has a natural charm that should blend well with more academic elements, creating an entertaining and, dare we say, educational program.
MOVIES ON TV:
“Crimson Peak” (HBOSGe) at 7:00 PM EST
When it comes to wildly underrated gothic horror films, “Crimson Peak” leads the pack. Directed by master of unsettling vibes Guillermo del Toro, “Crimson Peak” stars Mia Wasikowska as a newlywed with psychic abilities who enters her mysterious husband’s (Tom Hiddleston) creepy manor only to discover that it’s occupied by malevolent forces both living and dead. Atmospheric, stylish, and bolder than it gets credit for, “Crimson Peak” is a thoughtful modernization of a classic genre.
NEW TV EPISODES:
Still looking for something else to watch? Check out more of tonight’s lineup below!
- “God Friended Me” (CBS) at 8:00 PM EST
- “American Idol” (ABC) at 8:00 PM EST
- “The Simpsons” (Fox) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Batwoman” (CW) at 8:00 PM EST
- “The Real Housewives of Atlanta” (Bravo) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Outlander” (Starz) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Duncanville” (Fox) at 8:30 PM EST
- “Supergirl” (CW) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Wrong Man” (Starz) at 9:00 PM EST
- “The Outsider” (HBO) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Homeland” (Showtime) at 9:00 PM EST
- “The Walking Dead” (AMC) at 9:00 PM EST
- “NCIS: Los Angeles” (CBS) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist” (NBC) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Bob’s Burgers” (Fox) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Family Guy” (Fox) at 9:30 PM EST
- “NCIS: New Orleans” (CBS) at 10:00 PM EST
- “The Rookie” (ABC) at 10:00 PM EST
- “Good Girls” (NBC) at 10:00 PM EST
- “The Windsors: Inside the Royal Dynasty” (CNN) at 10:00 PM EST
- “Avenue 5” (HBO) at 10:00 PM EST
- “Kidding” (Showtime) at 10:00 PM EST
- “Curb Your Enthusiasm” (HBO) at 10:30 PM EST
- “Last Week Tonight” (HBO) at 11:00 PM EST