It’s a fun night for comedies, with “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” returning to television after being canceled by Fox last year. The result is an hour block for producer, writer, and showrunner Mike Schur (“Parks and Recreation, “The Office”). His other comedy, “The Good Place” returns for its last few episodes of Season 3 and might be coming off the best episode of the series. Meanwhile, “Mom” returns to CBS. “Fam” also premieres, and “Law & Order: SVU” returns from the winter hiatus.
Pick of the Day
“Brooklyn Nine-Nine” and “The Good Place” on NBC at 9 PM & 9:30 PM
It’s a Mike Schur double feature on NBC tonight, and the legend of Schur continues to grow. “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” makes its debut on NBC tonight, but we’ll get to that in a minute. The other big show of the night is “The Good Place,” which continues to build its own cult following. No other network comedy plays with form or style like the comedy about the afterlife. Few other shows can even keep up with its ability to shake up its plot either. With only a few episodes left this season, you should be watching week-to-week as it moves towards the 4th season.
“Brooklyn Nine-Nine” on NBC at 9 PM
The return of “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” also serves as the season premiere, as well as its network premiere. The cult following for “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” seems to have only grown in the months since its cancellation. It was a surprise cancellation, especially given the popularity of the series on the internet. However, NBC seems more inclined to exploit that element of the show. They are also wise to be in the Mike Schur business. Rather than letting the show disappear, Andy Samberg and Andre Braugher do a lot of heavy lifting to keep this show as great as ever. The gags still play, and the way the new season begins is actually a good entry point for new viewers. NINE-NINE!
Meanwhile, a few more shows return from the winter break. “Law & Order: SVU” feels like an interesting follow-up to the Mike Schur comedy hour, but it’s here. Meanwhile, CBS returns its best comedy series, “Mom,” where Allison Janney continues her quest for one more Emmy. Janney remains excellent in the show, and audiences actually underrate what Anna Farris pulls off as the straight woman of the show.
Movies on TV
Tonight has a great mix of fun movies, really fun comedies, and even some musical features to check out tonight. First, let’s jump into the legendary “Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves,” set to air on BBC America at 8 PM. Featuring an incredibly funny and ridiculous BAFTA-winning performance from the late Alan Rickman, the movie also grabbed a Best Original Song Oscar nomination. “A Bronx Tale” remains a must watch for Chaz Palmentari and Robert De Niro, and unsurprisingly it will air on AMC at 8 PM.
Comedy will be out in full force tonight. John Hughes leads off the night on IFC, giving Molly Ringwald one of her best roles. It’s a sweet film, and a must-watch. If you’ve missed “Game Night,” featuring some incredible work by Rachel McAdams and Jesse Plemons, make sure you catch it at 9 PM on IFC following “Pretty in Pink.” “Super Troopers 2” disappointed a bit, but if you’re a fan of the first, you’ll like still enjoy this one. HBO airs the long-awaited sequel at 8 PM.
Last but not least, two musical films light up the night. “The Greatest Showman” airs at 9:40 on HBO, and still pleases with its bright colors and fun songs. While some audiences take issue with the film, it works as a late-night blockbuster. Then, the criminally underrated “Selina” will air on VH1. The inspiring and tragic life of the singer helped solidify Jennifer Lopez as a star. It remains underrated to this day.
There are plenty of other shows airing new episodes tonight. Use this as a helpful guide when channel surfing tonight. Make sure you don’t miss the latest episodes of your favorite shows. Once again, times may vary by local area. Please check your local guide for the most accurate times.
- “The Titan Games” (NBC) at 8 PM
- “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” (NBC) at 9 PM
- “The Good Place” (NBC) at 9:30 PM
- “Law & Order: SVU” (NBC) at 10 PM
- “Big Bang Theory” (CBS) at 8 PM
- “Young Sheldon” (CBS) at 8:30 PM
- “Mom” (CBS) at 9 PM
- “FAM” (CBS) at 9:30 PM
- “Swat” (CBS) at 10 PM
- “Gotham” (FOX) at 8 PM
- “The Orville” (FOX) at 9 PM
- “Truth and Lies: Monica” (ABC) at 9 PM
- “Roswell: Mysteries Decoded” (CW) at 9 PM
- “The Secret Life of the Zoo” (Animal Planet) at 9 PM
- “Top Chef” (BRAVO) at 8 PM
- “Million Dollar Listing Los Angeles” (BRAVO) at 9 PM
- “Building Off the Grid” (Discover) at 9 PM
- “Flip or Flop: Nashville” (HGTV) at 9 PM
- “House Hunters” (HGTV) at 10 PM
- “House Hunters: International” (HGTV) at 10:30 PM
- “American Pickers” (HISTORY) at 9 PM & 10 PM
- “The Rap Game” (Lifetime) at 9 PM
- “Ex on the Beach” (MTV) at 8 PM
- “MTV Floribama Shore” (MTV) at 9 PM
- “Life Below Zero: Ice Breakers” (National Geographic) at 10 PM
- “Impossible Engineering” (Science) at 9 PM
- “How It’s Made” (Science) at 10 PM
- “The Dead Files” (Travel) at 10 PM
- “Most Haunted” (Travel) at 11 PM
- “The Carbonaro Effect” (TruTV) at 10 PM & 10:30 PM