For today’s TV watching, we have a mix of fantasy and reality. On the fantasy front, there’s a choice between casting spells and fighting space aliens. When it comes to reality, we have a special that acknowledges the road to success several African Americans have accomplished. Also, when it comes to celebrating the black experience, there is the series finale of “Being Mary Jane.” Here’s what in store for television tonight.
PICK OF THE DAY:
“Boss: The Black Experience in Business” (PBS) at 8:00 PM EST
This two hour special dives into the history of entrepreneurship from African-Americans. In addition, it examines more than 150 years of history. We’ve heard about how names like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates climbed their way to the top. Here, “Boss” shines a light on African American men and women who overcame oppression and adversity to carve out their own successful paths. It seems bound to be an insightful and powerful watch. If you’re a history buff, this might be up your alley.
“Being Mary Jane” (BET) at 8:00 PM EST
The series starring Gabrielle Union may have ended its fourth season a few years ago. However, its two hour-long series finale will air tonight. Originally, it was meant to premiere last year. Adding to the scheduling headache, the finale was set to air last week before it got moved to today. But for devotees of the series, the wait is finally over. The show follows anchorwoman Pauletta “Mary Jane Paul” Patterson (Union) and her pursuit of Mr. Right. Now, fans will get to see whether she gets her happy ending.
MOVIES ON TV:
“Guardians of the Galaxy” (FX) at 7:30 PM EST
“Avengers: Endgame” is coming to theaters in three days. But “Guardians of the Galaxy” is still airing so you can get your MCU fix until then. Initially, this ragtag team of space heroes was rather unknown amongst casual Marvel fans. That is, until the first film was released and became an absolute hit. Its sequel proved to be rather divisive even though our editor was on the positive spectrum. However, the first film is still a terrific surprise that thrives on its action and chemistry from the leads. Plus, it’s got a killer retro soundtrack.
“Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets” (SyFy) at 8:00 PM EST
If traveling to space doesn’t interest you, there are still plenty of immersive worlds to explore like Hogwarts. The second film in the “Harry Potter” franchise follows the titular character in his second year at the school of witchcraft and wizardry. This time around Harry and his friends, Ron and Hermione, face even more danger, a monster that threatens the lives of those in Hogwarts and will determine the school’s fate.
NEW TV EPISODES:
In case these programs aren’t of interest, you can check out new episodes of these programs.
- “American Housewife” (ABC) at 8:00 PM EST
- “The Voice” (NBC) at 8:00 PM EST
- “MasterChef Junior” (FOX) at 8:00 PM EST
- “The Flash” (The CW) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Sydney to the Max” (Disney) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Anderson Cooper 360” (CNN) at 8:00 PM EST
- “The Bold Type” (Freeform) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Deadliest Catch: On Deck” (Discovery) at 8:00 PM EST
- “The Kids are Alright” (ABC) at 8:30 PM EST
- “The Code” (CBS) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Black-ish” (ABC) at 9:00 PM EST
- “The Village” (NBC) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Mental Samurai” (FOX) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Roswell, New Mexico” (The CW) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Chopped” (Food Network) at 9:00 PM EST
- “The Rachel Maddow Show” (MSNBC) at 9:00 PM EST
- “The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” (Bravo) at 9:00 PM EST
- “NCIS: New Orleans” (CBS) at 10:00 PM EST
- “New Amsterdam” (NBC) at 10:00 PM EST
- “Fosse/Verdon” (FX) at 10:00 PM EST