Tonight is a good night for women in comedy. One of Sandra Bullock’s most iconic films will air while a stand-up special from Miranda Sings is coming to Netflix. Also, for anyone who’s a sci-fi buff, “District 9,” which celebrates its tenth anniversary this year, hits Hulu. So, there’s a bit of something in store for everyone.
PICK OF THE DAY:
“Miss Congeniality” (Freeform) at 9:01 PM EDT
Today’s top pick is the 2000 comedy “Miss Congeniality” starring Sandra Bullock. Bullock plays Gracie Hart, an FBI agent going undercover at the Miss USA pageant to stop a terrorist act. But while she initially finds beauty pageants very shallow, the FBI agent has a change of heart once she befriends her competitors. In addition to the reliable charms of Bullock, the film works thanks to its ensemble of actors including Michael Caine and Benjamin Bratt.
“Miranda Sings Live…Your Welcome” on Netflix
Viral star Miranda Sings is crooning her way to Netflix. Colleen Ballinger and her alter ego deliver a comedy special where she combines her various artistic talents including singing, dancing, and magic. For anyone who’s a fan of Miranda Sings, this could be quite the entertaining experience.
MOVIES ON TV:
“District 9” on Hulu
Based on director Neill Blomkamp’s own short “Alive in Joburg,” “District 9” follows aliens as they are segregated in South Africa. The conflict between the aliens and humans becomes escalated once a bureaucrat named Wikus (Sharlto Copley) slowly becomes an alien himself. The film serves as an allegory for racism, xenophobia and apartheid and is a rare instance of a sci-fi picture earning major Oscar love, including a Best Picture nomination.
“Captain America: Civil War” (TNT) at 6:00 PM EDT
“Avengers: Endgame” may still be killing it at the box office, but “Captain America: Civil War” will be on in case anyone still wants to get their Marvel dosage. Taking place before the events of “Avengers: Infinity War,” ‘Civil War’ demonstrates how the Avengers have fallen apart until the battle against Thanos united all of them once more. Despite being a “Captain America” sequel, it feels like “Avengers 2.5” since most of the company making an appearance. However, it still provides entertainment for comic book buffs and features Tom Holland and Chadwick Boseman in their first appearances as Spider-Man and Black Panther, respectively.
NEW TV EPISODES:
In case those programs aren’t of interest, fear not because new episodes of these shows will air.
- “America’s Got Talent” (NBC) at 8:00 PM EST
- “MasterChef Junior” (FOX) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Anderson Cooper 360” (CNN) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Deadliest Catch: On Deck” (Discovery) at 8:00 PM EST
- “The Bold Type” (Freeform) at 8:00 PM EST
- “Little World Big World” (TLC) at 8:00 PM EST and 9:00 PM EST
- “The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” (Bravo) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Holmes Make It Right” (DIY) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Chopped” (Food Network) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Diabolical” (ID) at 9:00 PM EST
- “The Haves and the Have Nots” (OWN) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Animal Kingdom” (TNT) at 9:00 PM EST
- “America Unearthed” (Travel) at 9:00 PM EST
- “Blood & Treasure” (CBS) at 10:00 PM EST
- “Songland” (NBC) at 10:00 PM EST
- “Kids Behind Bars: Life or Parole” (A&E) at 10:00 PM EST
- “True Conviction” (ID) at 10:00 PM EST
- “American Pickers” (History) at 10:03 PM EST
- “House Hunters International” (HGTV) at 10:30 PM EST
- “The Last O.G.” (TBS) at 10:30 PM EST