Today is a great day for nostalgia, because a coming-of-age classic is on TV tonight, along with a reboot of an old franchise. Reality series favorite “Big Brother” returns for more competition, and if that doesn’t suit your fancy, a documentary special chronicling one of the most brutal periods in history airs, as well. Here’s a closer look at what’s on TV tonight.
PICK OF THE DAY:
“The Breakfast Club” (Freeform) at 9:01 PM ET
The 1985 classic “The Breakfast Club” airs on Freeform tonight. This quintessential coming-of-age story follows five teenagers spending Saturday morning in detention. Although they come from different cliques and high school social groups, it turns out they have more in common than they previously realized. The late director John Hughes captures what is a rather rough and uncertain time in a young person’s life and does so with empathy and understanding. Plus, the five leading actors offer great performances that have kept audiences hooked for decades.
“Tiananmen: The People Versus the Party” (PBS) at 9:00 PM ET
On June 4, 1989, a bloody fight for democracy in China ended and changed the course of the country’s history. The documentary special, “Tiananmen: The People Versus the Party,” takes a look at this horrific period. The film reveals the bloodshed during the seven-week time frame leading up to that fateful day while demonstrating how all the events could have been avoided. According to the PBS website, the exact death toll still remains unknown.
“Big Brother” (CBS) at 8:00 PM ET
“Big Brother” is coming back for its 21st season to keep another close and watchful eye. Each season of this reality series follows a group of strangers held up in a camera-filled house for three months. They all have hopes of being the last one left to win a prize of $500,000. Devoted fans of the show may want to tune in to see who the first eliminated house guest could be.
MOVIES ON TV:
“Halloween” (HBO) at 8:00 PM ET
It may be summertime but Halloween has still come early. The “Halloween” reboot and direct sequel is airing on HBO for anyone looking for some frights. In this franchise revival, Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis) still struggles with PTSD following her confrontation with the killer Michael Myers from decades ago. When he returns to her hometown on Halloween night, Laurie decides to face her monster once and for all.
For those who don’t desire scares, fear not, because these options are available.
- “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” (TNT) at 6:00 PM EDT
- “Big Momma’s House” (BET) at 6:25 PM EDT
- “The Girl on the Train” (FXM) at 7:00 PM EDT
- “Deadpool” (FX) at 7:30 PM EDT
- “Pearl Harbor” (AMC) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Total Recall” (BBC) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Moneyball” (IFC) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Silver Bullet” (Sundance) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “About A Boy” (TMC) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Breaking In” (HBOSGe) at 8:30 PM EDT
- “Adrift” (SHO2e) at 9:00 PM EDT
NEW TV EPISODES:
In case those programs aren’t of interest, be sure to check out new episode of these shows.
- “America’s Got Talent” (NBC) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Anderson Cooper 360” (CNN) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Sydney to the Max” (Disney) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Deadliest Catch: On Deck” (Discovery) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “Good Trouble” (Freeform) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “The Curse of Civil War Gold: Diving Deeper” (History) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “America’s National Parks” (National Geographic) at 8:00 PM EDT
- “The 100” (The CW) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Lone Star Law: Bigger and Better” (Animal Planet) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Holmes Make It Right” (DiY) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Deadliest Catch” (Discovery) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Chopped Junior” (Food Network) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Good Bones” (HGTV) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “The Haves and the Have Nots” (OWN) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Animal Kingdom” (TNT) at 9:00 PM EDT
- “Blood & Treasure” (CBS) at 10:00 PM EDT
- “Watch What Happens: Live” (Bravo) at 10:00 PM EDT
- “Pose” (FX) at 10:00 PM EDT
- “House Hunters” (HGTV) at 10:00 PM EDT
- “Ink Master” (Paramount) at 10:00 PM EDT