Via Kris Tapley over at HitFix/In Contention, he took a look at the ballot for the Writers Guild of America upcoming awards and took note of several omissions that include Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained, Tom Hooper’s Les Miserables, Benh Zeitlin’s Beasts of the Southern Wild, and Michael Haneke’s Amour. He counted fifteen in total.
Tarantino has never been a member of the WGA but has found success with his other films Inglourious Basterds (2009) and Pulp Fiction (1994). Tapley has explanations for many of the contenders that won’t be getting a boost from the WGA. I encourage you to take a look. The nominations for the Writers Guild Awards will be announced on January 3, the day Oscar ballots are due. The list of films DISQUALIFIED are listed below and after the jump.
- Amour – Michael Haneke
- Anna Karenina – Tom Stoppard
- Beasts of the Southern Wild – Lucy Alibar & Benh Zeitlin
- The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel – Ol Parker
- Brave – Brenda Chapman, Irene Mecchi
- The Deep Blue Sea – Terence Davies
- Django Unchained – Quentin Tarantino
- The Impossible – Sergio G. Sanchez
- The Intouchables – Olivier Nakache and Eric Toledano
- Les Miserables – William Nicholson
- Middle of Nowhere – Ava DuVarney
- Quartet – Ronald Harwood
- Rust & Bone – Jacques Audiard, Thomas Bidegain
- Seven Psychopaths – Martin McDonagh
- Take this Waltz – Sarah Polley
- Your Sister’s Sister – Lynn Shelton
Comment and discuss!